Author Topic: At least one guy out there agrees with me on "first card off the deck" rule  (Read 14171 times)

K-Lo

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
Re: At least one guy out there agrees with me on "first card off the deck" rule
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 09:13:20 AM »
An interesting development... WSOP has confirmed they will not be adopting the rule.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »
Ken,

Can you be more specific? Are you saying that the WSOP is going back to the last hole card dealt, instead of the first card off? If so, where does that leave us?

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 05:40:57 PM »
Yes, they are retaining the previous rule (last card dealt), and I assume it will essentially be part of their "house" rules.

Nick C

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 04:49:45 PM »
Ken,Is this the current rule for the WSOP:

80. At Your Seat: A participant must be at his or her seat by the time all participants have been dealt complete initial hands to have a live hand.
Participants must be at their seats to call the clock as described in Rule 78 “At your seat” is defined as being within reach or touch of your chair.

I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to when you say "house rules?" I'm asking you because it appears as though no one else has anything to add. How does Jack Effel feel about this turn of events? Can anyone tell us what occurred that would result in dropping the first card off?

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 09:11:08 AM »
What I mean is that they will keep their rule as it was for this (and previous years), and not adopt the new TDA rule. It wasn't Jack Effel'a decision i don't think, and I am not sure how he feels about it. Perhaps I am wrong though and this is only a rumour... Or maybe it is just for WSOP Europe for now...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 09:20:36 AM by K-Lo »

Nick C

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 11:58:07 AM »
Are you kidding me? There is no one on the board that can give us a heads-up on this?

chet

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 12:21:09 PM »
Somebody better explain this or else the inclusion of the new BOD members intending to get more consistency in the rules is a complete joke.  And that somebody ought to be Jack Effel as he is the WSOP representative on the BOD.  Granted, my understanding of Jack's position is that he is not the sole and final decision maker for the WSOP rules, but regardless the TDA is owed an explanation.  OR maybe Daniel carries more weight than his photographs seem to show.

Chet

Guillaume Gleize

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 04:26:34 AM »
WOOOOW!!! Are you all sure? How can I make this new TDA rule work in my tournaments if all the guys say that the WSOP WILL NOT apply it?

???

Nick C

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 07:30:21 AM »
Mike B, somebody, come on...it's been days since we've heard anything.

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 09:46:13 AM »
Just to stir things up some more... If the rule were to be changed back to the way it was, I think you would almost have to explicitly establish that player are required to protect their hands by either not looking at their cards until all cards have been dealt or to otherwise protect them from being seen by players returning to the table... There has to be some way to address the "inadvertent peeking" issue.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:47:18 AM by K-Lo »

Martin Roy TD

• TDA Member & Active Poster
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 10:18:55 AM »
WSOP and WPT Borgata doesn't apply the first card rule too.

I think we should add House rules apply with this one too...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:36:31 AM by Martin Roy TD »

Nick C

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 03:49:14 PM »
Ken,

I think you can still "peek"  even if you're at your seat, don't you? I go back to my original complaint; not one person on this forum ever mentioned a change being needed (last card dealt), at any time prior to the 2013 Summit. So we picked up a few new 5 star members on the board of director's, and the only person we ever hear from is Mike Bishop. Without Mike, there would be no TDA.

WSOPMcGee

• The R.O.P.E.
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »
Mike B, somebody, come on...it's been days since we've heard anything.

Nick, I heard this too and could not find any "news" sources or articles about it or even twitter blogs. However, I did find a podcast where Ty Stewart specifically says that while "it's not written stone, but we are NOT going to use it in WSOPE or Circuit or at the 2014 WSOP". I paraphrased Ty here. This is a Link to the Podcast. His statements regarding FCD (First Card Dealt - I think First Card Off The Deck is way too lengthy as FCOTD, blah) can be found at 36:28 of the interview. I downloaded it as well in case it gets deleted later on.

It's a good interview if you want to find out what WSOP.com (online) is doing and how it's positioning itself within the market with the online launch.

@wsopmcgee on Twitter

Nick C

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 08:11:12 AM »
Hello Thomas,

Always good to hear from you. I just listened to the podcast with Ty Stewart...seems pretty clear to me that they will not be using the first card off rule. I also found his mention of "questioning the origin of the rule."

It's no secret that I've opposed a few rules that have been adopted over the last couple summit's. The reasons are not only because I don't like them. I also don't like the way they were introduced without any prior discussion. Suggesting a proposal for a new rule should be discussed long before it is introduced at the TDA Summit. If we can't utilize this Forum to discuss, thoroughly, a proposal or suggestion for a rule change...we will continue to lose credibility. Introducing another controversial rule, and telling the poker community that we have to wait two more years to correct it is unacceptable. Besides, I also have a professional responsibility, to my student dealers, that they receive the best training possible. It's time some of the rulemakers listen to reason on some of these issues instead of taking "the my way, or the highway" approach. To make matter's worse, when the heated debates ensue...the responsible person or persons, are nowhere to be found! We have members on the TDA board of directors that haven't been heard from in months...some in years...and others...never!

Mike Bishop, it's time to take a good look at this and consider a change before the 2013 Version 2.0 is released. Waiting for 2015 is not in anyone's best interest.
Nick Ciavarella