Author Topic: Verbal bet  (Read 4298 times)

edfrzr

• TDA Member
Verbal bet
« on: January 15, 2012, 06:38:49 PM »
In a no-liimit hold-em tournament, what is the procedure/ruling if a player verbalizes they are making a "pot-sized" bet. Keep in mind there are players before that have already acted/bet prior to his/her bet.

My ruling was that the player had to bet the amount of ALL chips in play (betted) at that time (all chips in the actual pot and all chips in front of any player that had bet before them.

Thanks,

Dale

K-Lo

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
Re: Verbal bet
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 06:59:26 PM »
Hi Dale:

The appropriate rule is Rule 42:

42:   Pot Size & Pot-Limit Bets
Players are entitled to be informed of the pot size in pot-limit games only. Dealers will not count the pot in limit and no-limit games. Declaring “I bet the pot” is not a valid bet in no-limit but it does bind the player to making a bet.

I would tell the player that his declaration is not a valid statement in no-limit, and ask him to clarify by providing a specific amount.  He cannot check (in your case, it seems like there may have been prior action so he wouldn't be able to do this anyways); he is bound to bet some legal amount.

I would treat it the same way as if the player had said "I bet my favorite number of chips".  The Dealer would not be wrong to ask "and what is that"?  ;-)

Spence

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Verbal bet
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 08:10:59 PM »
Agreed he is obligated to raise at least the minimum now. We had a discussion similair to this on a previous thread. hmmm, here it is:
http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?topic=513.0
A clarification on what this player would like to raise seems appropriate.