Author Topic: Pot Limit Omaha préflop blinds  (Read 8360 times)

Boris

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • International Poker dealer (EU)
Pot Limit Omaha préflop blinds
« on: April 07, 2022, 05:47:46 PM »
Hey folks,

I would like to start a poll.

Pot Limit Omaha tournament
Blinds 100/200
Previous hand BB player got busted, so we have a dead Small Blind.
1st player to act raises to maximum.
What is the bet ?
600 or 700 ?

And why ?

Cheers

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
Re: Pot Limit Omaha préflop blinds
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 07:58:45 AM »
I don't have enough experience with Omaha, but let me ask this: If either blind didn't have enough to cover, or if a limp caller didn't have enough to call, how do you calculate a pot sized raise?

Whatever rule you apply there should also be applied to the small blind that is less (all the way less) than what it should be.

Frankly, I think it should be the full 700.

To use Hold 'Em as an example, when a big blind is all in for less than the BB, it's still a full BB amount to limp call.

Therefore, in the original question, I think the full amounts should be used to calculate the pot sized raise.

On a somewhat related note, I played in a $1/$2 PLO game at Aria a few years back. It had an interesting twist: The amount to call was $5, any raises had to be in $5 increments, and the $3 total blinds were rounded to $5. That meant if the first player wanted to raise pot, it was $15 rather than $7. Not only did it help raise to a more meaningful amount, but it made the math easier once the pot grew.

For the record, I'm not sure if the blinds continued to be rounded up or were rounded down if one blind folded.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Boris

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 08:54:48 AM »
Hey Dave,

I did not want to give too much information at star to let the minds think but you nailed the topic.
This poll is meant to open the discussion around Rule 54.b

I am working at a huge venue right now and we have 2 trends among staff.

Team 600 is mostly arguing that there is no bet so "If I can't see, I don't count it"
Team 700 use the 54b and interpret no players could be seen as a Short all-in blind.

Further discussion brought that ruling a short all blind would put the hand in all-in situation, forcing a showdown to reveal all cards at the end of the hand.

We would really like to know your thoughts about this technical question.

Cheers

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 07:11:14 PM »
Silly me. I gave an answer without bothering to check the rules. But thanks for pointing me to 54B. Yeah, I think what I said is just a long version of what 54B says.

But you’re also right, that it leaves ambiguity about whether a missing small blind counts as a short small blind. Then again, a short small blind would at least have a player in the seat.

Yeah, the rule does need to clarify how to calculate the missing small blind.

For the record, I was actually thinking of the scene in Rounders, when Mike goes back to Grama to tell him he doesn’t have the money, that he’s a little short. Grama asks how short? Mike replies, all the way.

So on the pot size question, i’m now uncertain how to rule.

Regarding the showdown. I think you’re saying that since a short blind all in forces a showdown, does the missing small blind count as an all in, also forcing a showdown? I can see the argument that it’s just an all the way short small blind. But unlike a normal short all in, he wasn’t dealt cards. Therefore it does not force a showdown.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 07:12:54 PM by Dave Miller »
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 06:08:58 AM »
I believe you should calculate the initial raise as if there were a SB. It kind of reminds me of a holdem game when the BB is all-in for less...the next player must still complete to the proper BB, or the full BB would be considered for a raise.

I haven't played much pot limit, but basic rules are usually the best way to figure these situations out.

I realize that a slight adjustment might need to be made when actually counting the pot for the post flop bets...remember there was no SB

Whenever I hear of these situations in pot limit, the more I like the games, or house rules, that round these bets off. It makes the game easier to move along.

Boris

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 02:13:40 PM »
Hello folks,

Digging up the topic because the case happened again in MCOP Amsterdam.

So is there anyone who could give a definitive and argumentée answer to this ?