Author Topic: Tourney length with BBA  (Read 6023 times)

Guillaume Gleize

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Tourney length with BBA
« on: October 05, 2022, 05:31:55 AM »
Hello,

I manage tournaments with 500 to 2500 amateur players in France and before the Big Blind Ante (BBA) we used to make them lay with no ante and to calculate the end of our tourneys when the BB was 5% of the total amount of chips (so 10BB for each player in final heads-up). This method was very accurate. So we could also anticipate the number of players left at any moment of the tournaments (base on the fact that when down to 10BB most players go in "push-mode"). This to know for example if 800 or 1600 people are gonna go to the restaurants during a specific break etc!

We are now planing our first big massive events with the BBA.

You guys experienced with using the BBA (in big tournaments only please) : Knowing that at BB each player is gonna pay nearly the double amount of what they used to pay before, did you noticed more bursts at each level and the ends arriving sooner? In other words can we say that with the BBA :
1) The players have the same tendency than before, pushing all around 10BB ? (so the tournament finish when the BB is around 5% of the total chips)
2) The busts come a little faster, the players pushing all around 15BB ? (so the tournament finish when the BB is less than 4% of the total chips)
3) The busts are much faster, the players pushing all around 20BB ? (so the tournament finish when the BB is less than 3% of the total chips)

TYVM in advance - GG
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 03:20:15 PM by Guillaume Gleize »

Motobaka72

Re: Tourney length with BBA
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 04:58:10 PM »
I've been using bbAnte in all my tournaments since 2018
We had 3 tournaments a day for about 2 years averaging 50 players. Had some 500 to 700 players along the way and the biggest I've made was a 1.7k players. All using bbAnte. If memory serves me well it's closer to 15bb but not over. Somewhere between option 1 and 2.

Guillaume Gleize

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 04:57:33 PM »
I've been using bbAnte in all my tournaments since 2018
We had 3 tournaments a day for about 2 years averaging 50 players. Had some 500 to 700 players along the way and the biggest I've made was a 1.7k players. All using bbAnte. If memory serves me well it's closer to 15bb but not over. Somewhere between option 1 and 2.

TY very much Motobaka for your answer!
Because nobody answered before you: We had to make our first tourney just guessing!
The result was like you said. But let's say the middle zone (called the "pop corn zone" when many players bust) was much much faster! So we had to remove a round from the day 1 to add it to the day 2! But near the end of the tournament, the players did slow down very much (with all their chips) so the whole thing did finish nearly at the same moment that when we were playing without any ante. Strange result. We'll record it to adapt our next structures but still check again the BBA effects!
Best regards - GG
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 02:39:51 AM by Guillaume Gleize »

Guillaume Gleize

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 02:14:23 PM »
We got the numbers: They did average 18BB when pushing all in (instead of 10BB)! Quite fast!