Author Topic: Angle?  (Read 5356 times)

Steven

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Angle?
« on: January 27, 2014, 01:23:05 PM »
River betting, board reads 7 7 3 3 2, pot is substantial

9 handed

Player A in seat 9 announces all-in (24200)
Player B in seat 1 with something like 60K behind methodically cuts out 20K in 4 stacks of 5K and slowly places it in front of his stack. Then he continues by placing the 4 more 1K chips and 2 more 100 chips on top of the 20K
Player B then doesn't say anything but just kinda looks out and upward.

After maybe 30 seconds Player B calls. His pocket 10s lose to pocket Jacks.

I wonder though if player B was angle shooting and hoping player A would show his hand before a call was actually announced.
If so, player B may have claimed he didn't verbally call, but as a floor person would you insist the call was implicitly made? Remember the chip area is kinda small in seat1, but he definitely cut out the whole call amount and placed it just short of the line(which of course is not a bet line.

And as a dealer or floor person do you question the intentions at some point before the actual call is or is not announced?

Tristan

Re: Angle?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
Players like to cut out the call amount to see how much they would have left if they were to lose the hand.  When he was looking off, he was most likely thinking about how the hand played out and trying to figure out what range of hands that he thinks his opponent has.

If I was dealing, I might have asked him if it was a call if the chips were placed in such a way that it was questionable.

From the way you described it, I do not think it was an angle-shot.
Tristan
@TristanWilberg on Twitter

chet

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 03:57:00 PM »
I agree w/Tristan.  I have no problem with Player B's actions in any way.  If there is any confusion about Player B's intent, it is up to the dealer to ask and make the intention clear before proceeding.

Chet

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:26:42 PM »
I agree as well.  If he moved the stacks forward "enough" (your judgement) to make it look like a bet, there might have been an issue.  Kudos to A for not jumping the gun.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 10:11:14 AM »
I also agree. Without the bet line players must be patient. I will say that if I were dealing I would get some clarification from Player B, if I was uncertain, and I would prevent (if possible) Player A from tabling his cards before B completed his action. Both Players face general rules that would apply: Player B must make his intentions clear and Player A should not table his cards until the action is complete and the showdown begins.