Author Topic: When does a 10-handed tournament switch to 9-handed?  (Read 4840 times)

Steven

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
When does a 10-handed tournament switch to 9-handed?
« on: January 01, 2014, 06:15:07 PM »
When does a 10-handed tournament switch to 9-handed? This discussion occurred recently in a game I was participating in. This particular tournament structure does not convert a 10-handed game to 9-handed. I believe most other formats do convert at some point.

What is your standard? Of course, TDA rules do say the final table (for hold-em) will be 10-handed.

Thanks!

chet

Re: When does a 10-handed tournament switch to 9-handed?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 08:03:01 PM »
Steven:  I think you as the TD can switch from 10 handed to 9 handed anytime you feel that it is better for the event.
Some things to consider, are you going to need any additional dealers, can you send a dealer home, where in the event structure are you, do you have any "small, stud type tables" that are, at best, uncomfortable for 10 players and many other factors that need to be considered.

I don't know of any "rules" that govern such an action.

Chet

WSOPMcGee

• The R.O.P.E.
Re: When does a 10-handed tournament switch to 9-handed?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 09:07:35 PM »
What chet is trying to say is, "Whenever you want".

"Whenever you feel like it"
"Whatever works for you"
"Tournament directors discretion"

There's no TDA "rule" for this (THANK GOD). There are guidelines however. In general, if you start the tournament 10 handed, once you get to 6 tables of 10 handed and lose a player, starting making them 9 handed.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:15:22 PM by ThomasMcGee »
@wsopmcgee on Twitter