Author Topic: Moving from the big blind or from UTG?  (Read 16173 times)

Stuart Murray

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Moving from the big blind or from UTG?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 04:43:10 PM »
Between the SB and button would be where a seat has been vacant the previous hand with the BB after it.  The new hand commences and the seat after it starts with the SB and a player is now seated into the vacant seat.

This would be a situation where the player would have to wait for the button to pass to receive a hand.

Best Regards
Stuart

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 10:20:54 AM »
Thanks Stuamurr,

I finally got it!.......Why don't we get together and come up with a better way to explain some of these rules so everyone can understand them. I have been in poker all my life, and it has me scratching my head as to what they are talking about sometimes. Here is my example:

POKER TOURNAMENT DIRECTORS ASSOCIATION

Rules Version 2009.2.0, released Sept. 15, 2009

Seating Players: Breaking & Balancing Tables

#5   BREAKING  TABLES
                        Players going from a broken table to fill in seats assume the rights and responsibilities of the position. They can get the big blind, the small blind, or the button. The only place they can not get a hand is between the small blind and the button. How is this instead: A new player can not occupy an empty seat between the button and the small blind. This I would understand.
Nick C

chet

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 03:21:46 PM »
When BREAKING tables, a player can certainly "occupy" the vacant seat between the Button and the SB, but he she cannot get a hand until the button passes.  To do otherwise would be a logistical nightmare, in events where you have more than just 2-3 tables. 

Imagine being at an event with 50-100 tables.  As players bust, their "seat card" is picked up by a floor person.  It may take a while to bust out enough players to break a table and in the meantime the floor person has absolutely no idea of where the button might be in relation to the empty seat that is to be filled.  To not to seat a player in an empty seat between the button and the SB, would be an absolute logistical nightmare, if not a practical impossibility. 

I don't understand the problem with the player taking the empty seat and then not getting a hand until the button passes.

Chet

Stuart Murray

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 04:59:47 PM »
Indeed Nick, Chets response is very valid your wording is along the right roads but slightly askew as they can be seated.  I do agree however some technical wording can be hard to understand,  I was having a detailed breakdown of action out of turn tonight at a game and I (nearly) got lost myself in the technicalities!

One of the rules I always struggle with is this one:

6.   Balancing Tables
In flop and mixed games when balancing tables, players will be moved from the big blind to the worst position, including taking a single big blind when available, even if that means the seat will have the big blind twice.  Worst position is never the small blind. The table from which a player is moved will be as specified by a predetermined procedure.   Play will halt on any table that is three or more players short.

I keep thinking it means that the player will take the BB twice in succession until I read it over and over and realise it says the seat lol

Regards
Stuart

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 07:01:32 AM »
Chet,

I appreciate your response and I understand that a player can wait until the button passes. I guess my concerns are related to tournaments only, so why would you intentionally ever move a player into a position, where he is forced to miss a hand? It's an automatic in a cash game, but not in tournament play.
Nick C

Stuart Murray

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 07:30:03 AM »
Nick, when collapsing a table would be the classic situation where you would put someone down between the SB and Bt.  I do put people in there quite a lot when they are coming from a broken table, infact it is almost a weekly occurance for me with games every day.

Regards
Stuart

zvjerko

• TDA Member
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 07:33:36 AM »
to zvjerko,

I think the most important fact that you can get from all of these descriptions is; you should NEVER put a player in the small blind position. period.

Nick C

That is quite clear. Where he will be seated is understood, but who will be moved wasn't quite clear and now with yours replies is much more clear.