Author Topic: announcing non-all in raises  (Read 5405 times)

mooredog

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
announcing non-all in raises
« on: May 21, 2012, 08:30:10 AM »
Running a fair sized buy in tournament ($1100 entry) this past week I had a player who kept mouthing off and getting upset every time a dealer announced a non- all in raise amount. We never announce an all in amount unless a player facing the bet asks, but with non-all ins we do in order to keep the action moving. On the final table the television announcer told the players before final table began all non-all in raises would be announced and noone griped at that time, but earlier this player just wouldn't let up. It has always been our room's policy to announce these non-all in raises. Any comments?

chet

Re: announcing non-all in raises
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:54:06 AM »
Personally, I don't like it as I think it tends to slow the game down, especially if the dealer has to stack and count the amount.  However, if this is and has been your policy and if you don't feel it slows the game down, go for it.  I don't see any problem.  As to your loudmouth, you could have taken him aside and given him a verbal warning.  If he doesn't like your rules, policies and procedures, let him go elsewhere.

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 11:51:19 AM »
Agreed with Chet.

In the spirit of the new procedures, our policy is now to only announce the amount of non all-in raises if the player himself has verbalized the total amount of the raise (especially if one or more oversized chips are used and do not visually match the verbalized amount);  however, if no amount of the raise has been verbalized, we do not announce the amount of the raise unless and until asked by a player facing the bet in turn.

However, if your house policies or procedures require dealers to count & announce every raise, then those rules govern, and the players should accept that and abide by them.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:52:47 AM by K-Lo »

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 01:54:56 PM »
mooredog,

I agree with Chet and Ken, your house policy needs to be followed. Explain it to your obnoxious player, one time! Show him the written procedure if you can and that should be enough. I teach student dealers to announce "raise" and only require a count at the next active player's request.

Those are the rules. Is your pain in the ass patron worth the aggravation he's causing? Let him know he's welcome to play in your room but, it is a privilege extended to those that play by the rules.

MrFnClean

• TDA Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 02:06:59 PM »
I agree, if it's your house policy, stick with it to a T. Before I began to TD and dealt a lot more, I generally would wait for someone to ask, barring a few issues

1)It's so glaringly obvious that if I didn't count the bet, there'd be a solid argument stating that I'm a lazy dealer
2)Barber-poled bets are always, always getting split up.

Of course, these were semi-unpopular, depending on the patron. What isn't, however?