Author Topic: Would you move this player back?  (Read 4624 times)

Brian Vickers

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • Poker Manager
Would you move this player back?
« on: June 22, 2011, 11:48:59 AM »
I know you guys are aching to answer some questions, since there hasn't been a new post in 6 days or so, so I'll post this one.

Just now in the tournament, we were at 3 tables left.  Tables were 8, 7, and 7 handed.  The 7 handed table lost a player, so I moved a player from an 8 handed table to balance it.  BEFORE the next hand was dealt, a player at the other 7 handed table got busted out, and we were now down to 20 players (2 tables).  Now I'm going to break the 3rd table, but the player says "Shouldn't I get my seat back since I haven't played a hand yet?"  I kept him at the new table since I had moved him before that player was busted.  He didn't argue at all, he was just asking.

I guess in the future I could wait until all tables complete the hand they are on before moving a player, but i was just trying to save some time in case no one went bust.

chet

Re: Would you move this player back?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 12:55:31 PM »
Brian:  I have no problem with what you did, since you acted based on the situation at the time you needed to move the player.  You did not have any way of knowing another player was going to bust.  That said, I wouldn't have any problem if you had waited either, although as you alluded, that might slow up the event.

Since this is a rather unique situation, I don't think I would wait unless you have a much better quality crystal ball than I.

Dave Lamb

• TDA Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 01:20:34 PM »

I would have done exactly as you did, getting the tables balanced as quickly as possible is usually the correct procedure. As you discovered, the players are capable of busting each other at "an inconvenient pace". I would not move the player back...

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 02:08:22 PM »
Dave and Chet have it right. You have to respond quickly in that situation, just like you did. I've moved a player and before he is situated the other table loses two players. What can you do?

Stuart Murray

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 04:43:21 PM »
Ditto everyone else's responses, although we do tend to wait on occasion especially when a table break is nigh.  Once you have made the move, I would not backtrack, it just looks sloppy.  It does happen to us a lot with the short levels (15mins) and there will always be 'inconvenient' or 'unnecessary' movements made, just a fact of tournament poker.

Best
Stu