Author Topic: Buy the Button?  (Read 35867 times)

W0lfster

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Buy the Button?
« on: April 18, 2011, 02:02:01 AM »
I think the question is very self explanatory, please explain the procedure and conditions of this rule and why it is used.

Thx :)

DCJ001

W0lfster

Re: Buy the Button?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 09:38:44 AM »
Yes DCJ I do use google and yes Ive tried looking but im still not 100% happy but thanks anyway. I understand now that buying the button can be done when a new player has sat down and has the button on his/her immediate right. I know that he/she has to post both the blinds, what I dont understand is, is the button placed in front of the player? Or in the next hand? Also can a player who is not new and has chips on the table and goes to the bathroom lets say reenters, are they entitled to buy the button again?

chet

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:09:28 AM »
Each of your questions are answered here:

http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/archives/angelo07.htm

W0lfster

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:45:03 AM »
Thanks Chet, a little clearer now however, I am still unsure as to what happens on the remaining streets. Does the player who bought the button act first with check/bet? Or does the original SB act first had the player not bought the button? I ask this because technically the player who bought the button is not technically on the button as the player needs to wait the next hand to get the button, surely if this player was to act as the button without actually having the button in front of them would generate confusion.

Any thoughts?

chet

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 10:57:19 AM »
Andy: 

You are making things MUCH more complicated than they are. 

The ONLY thing that is changed from the way it would normally be (had that seat not missed a blind) is that the player buying the button has to post both blinds.  There are NO changes to any other facets of the game.  The player to his immediate right has the button, action starts with the player in the seat to the immediate left of the button (with the player who bought the button) and continues as it would in any other hand until it is concluded and the pot awarded. 

The next hand the button moves to the player who bought it on the prior hand.  The small blind is on his immediate left and the big blind to the immediate left of the small blind player. 

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 12:13:56 PM »
Everyone,
 If I can stick my 2 cents in again, whithout changing the rule as we know it. The confusion comes from the name "buying the button" when in fact we are buying the small blind. This can only happen if you missed the BB on the previous hand, or you enter the seat of a player that vacated his small blind position (he was involved in the last hand when he was the BB), and then he quits the game or possibly went all in and lost. There is no way to come in on the button in a cash game unless it's the first hand dealt after opening the table.

W0lfster

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 02:26:55 PM »
Ok, so tell me if Im correct in this.

Seat 1: button

Seat 2: Buys the button

Seat 3: SB now no longer posts it until next hand

Seat 4: BB now no longer posts it until next hand

player left of BB (UTG) first to act preflop as normal. Seat 2 player who bought button first to act on flop, turn and river

Can a player buy the button as many times as he /she wishes if the absent player misses posting before the BB has had a chance to skip the player?

Nick C

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 03:17:20 PM »
Andy,
 #'s 1 and 2 are correct but, #3 does post SB next hand but will be UTG this hand.

W0lfster

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 03:31:17 PM »
Thx Nick, but would what Ive said be correct if this was the buy the button hand?

Nick C

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 04:49:01 PM »
Andy,
 Most of what you listed is correct. However the hand that Player 2 buys the button he is posting the BB and a dead SB, so the player clockwise to him (Player 3) will be under the gun.

chet

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 04:55:16 PM »
Andy:

"Buying the Button" means that this player is posting BOTH the small and big blinds (for the current hand).

Let me give you an example:

Last Hand --

Seat 1 is the buttoin
Seat 2 is the SB
Seat 3 is the BB
Seat 4 is the UTG, etc.,etc.,

Seat 4 goes all in

It is folded around to Seat 3, the BB who calls the all in, Seat 4 has Seat 3 covered.  The hand plays out and Seat 3 is busted and leaves the table.

Next Hand --

Seat 2 is the button
Seat 3 is vacant, but a new player has been assigned and is on his way to the table
Seat 4 posts the BB, etc, etc.

Upon arrival, before the dealer starts dealing any cards, the new player in Seat 3 announces he wants to "Buy the Button".  The dealer says you have to post both blinds and the player says OK and does so.  Seat 4 pulls his BB back.  Seat 2 is still the button, Seat 3 posts both blinds and Seat 4 is now the UTG.  The hand plays out.

Next Hand --  

Seat 3 is the button
Seat 4 is the SB
Seat 5 is the BB

I hope this clears things up for you.

W0lfster

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 05:10:08 PM »
Arr ok, I get it! So basically the person who bought the button is acting as both the SB and BB therefore the person who would be the SB (left of person who bought the button) is now the UTG :)

Am I right in saying still you can by the button as many times as you want?

Chet, that is a very good and clear explanation, I take it then you could say seat 5 also would not post a BB in a moving button table since the BB (seat 3) busted out. Therefore if the SB has busted out instead, am I right in saying you couldnt buy the button because there wouldnt be a vacant seat? For moving button that is.

If the player sat down and decided to wait until he/she was between the BB and button again, could he/she elect to buy the button that way, or does it have to be immediate?

chet

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 05:34:30 PM »
Andy:

I don't know about moving button games.  All of our local places to play use the "Dead" button system.  While I have played in a few places that use the moving button, I don't think the applicable situation ever came up, at least as I remember.

As far as multiple buying the button tries, I don't think this would be allowed.  Remember, the ONLY time a player can Buy the Button is if the seat has become vacant, either because a player busts out OR because the player occupying the seat went to eat, to the restroom, etc., and now returns to the table after having missed the BB.  If house rules allow, this player can come back into the game immediately by "Buying the Button", whereas he would otherwise have to wait until the button passes and then post both blinds.

W0lfster

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 10:47:37 PM »
Fair enough, and finally are you allowed to buy the button if you are in between, the BB and the SB?