Author Topic: Ghost Player all-in  (Read 7292 times)

Christian

• TDA Member
Ghost Player all-in
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:43:55 AM »
Hi all,

we had a situation similar to topic "player goes all-in and leaves" but now BB had left the table before cards were dealt.
He had 1500 chips and BB was 1500.
We killed his hand at the end of dealing then everybody folded so we awarded the pot to the SB (who called the BB)

Is it the same situation or it does matter that he left before dealing?

Nick C

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Ghost Player all-in
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 12:50:20 PM »
I have no problem with what you did. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying about leaving before dealing. If he were there, the dealer would finish dealing and the best hand would get the pot.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 12:54:22 PM by Nick C »

Christian

• TDA Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 01:23:11 PM »
Thanks for your answer Nick,

BB left the table after he lost with AA in previous hand.
He was on tilt and left the tournament area before next game started.

(Sorry for my bad expression.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:26:02 PM by Christian »

Nick C

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 01:34:34 PM »
Christian,
 Any player that "bolts" from the table would indicate to me that he has no interest in the pot. You did the right thing.

DCJ001

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 02:30:59 PM »
This question is not one of opinion.

When the last card dealt hits the button, any player not at his seat is to automatically have his hand killed by the dealer.

When everyone folded to the small blind, his hand was the last remaining live hand, and it was correct to push him the pot.

Nick C

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 03:28:01 PM »
There were numerous opinions on a similar post.
http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?topic=188.0

Stuart Murray

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 06:28:06 AM »
There are seceral rules here that need to be considered:

9.   Face Up
All cards will be turned face up once a player is all-in and all betting action is complete.
39.   Unprotected Hands
If a dealer kills an unprotected hand, the player will have no redress and will not be entitled to a refund of bets. However, if a player had raised and the raise had not yet been called, the raise will be returned to the player.
22.   At Your Seat
A player must be at his or her seat by the time all players have been dealt complete initial hands in order to have a live hand. A player must be at his/her seat to call time.

For the purposes of a TOURNAMENT where the player is present, I would not kill the hand, instead would table it and let the best hand win as per 9 (even where that player is not at the table/seat)
For the purposes of a TOURNAMENT where the player has been absent for some time, or has not been present from the commencement of the tournament I would have the dealer touch the cards into the muck before tabling the hand in order to comply with 9.

With regard to your situation, if I was satisfied the player was not returning I would kill the hand before tabling it, but if he was on tilt after a bad beat etc, I would likely leave the hand live as he was all-in and table it with a view to claiming the pot if it is the best hand.  It really is one that can go either way and will be at your discretion, there is certainly no right or wrong asto how you handle this situation.

Regards
Stuart

Christian

• TDA Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 03:52:55 PM »
Dear all,

thank you for your answers.

Regards
Chris