Author Topic: Straddling confusion  (Read 16303 times)

W0lfster

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Straddling confusion
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 07:26:32 PM »
Thanks Chet, this is a very logical and concise explanation, particularly on the raise to 12 for no limit as this is the only game I play. Lol I sometimes feel im just talking to open air with some of the replies I get from here and other forums. Thanks for your help I understand it now.

One other thing, if you straddle and the next player has chips but is away from the table, can the player to the left of the absent player restraddle even though it has skipped a players seat?

Thanks.  :)

chet

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 10:11:32 PM »
This discussion is getting long and is certainly off topic as straddles are not allowed in tournament poker.  That said, I will do what I can to answer your question.

A player who has chips in a cash game (since straddles are not allowed in a tournament) and who is absent from the table does NOT get dealt into the hand, does not post blinds, etc.  Although blinds usually have to be made up if the player wants to return before it is his turn for the next Big Blind.  It is just as though the seat does not exist.  Therefore, the next player would, in theory, be able to restraddle.  Now, it is necessary to look at the house rules to determine whether straddles are allowed and if so, the specifics applicable.  In many, if not most, card rooms, the ONLY player that can straddle is the UTG player (1st player to the left of the Big Blind) and multiple straddles are not allowed. 

Remember house rules prevail. 

Now if you want to get really confused, I suggest you look up "Straddles in Poker" on Wikipedia.  That description includes all kinds of different bets that are possible in cash games.  None of which are allowed in tournament poker.

W0lfster

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 04:30:08 AM »
Sorry, I understand this is a tournament forum but I do have cash game questions also Id like answered. I have tried posting cash questions on 2+2 forum but the replies are really rude a lot of the time and for a lot of them, do not even attempt to answer. This is why I post them on here and I again understand this is for tournaments but you understand my situation.

Anyway Thank you Chet its cleared up now I understand. :)

JasperToo

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 07:57:53 AM »
I don't want rotten vegggies thrown my way but I have noticed that a number of questions regarding cash games are brought up here and Wolfster's situation may not be unique.  Since we are tournament rule "experts" we generally know RROP better than most and therefore are able to help in those situations where other forums just like to be rude.

May I suggest a cash game thread???? or would that detract too much from the them of things?

W0lfster

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 08:33:19 AM »
Please do suggest Chet, it would be much appreciated :)

chet

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 08:38:59 AM »
Sorry not my idea, JasperToo suggested a cash game thread, but I think we already have a thread that can be used.  It is the last one in this group and is entitled,

"Non-TDA Tournament and General Poker Rules
Links to and discussions of non-TDA poker rules.
"

Perhaps Mike B, as the moderator of this forum, might consider adding "Cash Game" somewhere in the above title to make it perfectly clear or maybe he has a better idea.

JasperToo

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 08:39:54 AM »
Yep, that would work!