Author Topic: Talking heads up?  (Read 4690 times)

bj03sm

• TDA Member
Talking heads up?
« on: August 26, 2010, 07:09:36 PM »
I know there is a similar thread about table talk, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion on basic talk or chatter. I feel that if two players are heads up on the river then it should be ok if they talk a little back and forth. Things like "Did you hit that Ace" or "Did that 7 make you a straight" are acceptable in my opinion. I am not going to let someone sit there and question a guy like the FBI or anything, but don't like giving a penalty to a guy for saying " I think you hit a flush on me". I think we are taking to much from the game of poker if we don't let them talk at all as long as it is heads up. What is everyone elses thoughts on this. Do you agree with small talk or think any talk should be a penalty? Thanks

MikeB

• Administrator
  • TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Talking heads up?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
Hi BJ: The TDA has no prohibition against "talking" in general. There is a general prohibition against "excessive" chatter. Excessive is left to the discretion of the TD given the circumstances. Given the amount of chatter even by some professionals, there is wide latitude on this.... Also, there are specific prohibitions against disclosing the contents of a hand and against deliberately miscalling a hand at showdown. These may all draw a warning or penalty as the TD sees fit.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:00:06 PM by MikeB »

Stuart Murray

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Talking heads up?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 07:56:43 AM »
As per Mikes response and your own thoughts I agree,

I draw the line at calling your own hand aloud (true or not)

"I might have a flush"
"Have you got the Ace"
"Could be sitting here with two pairs"

are all the kind of things I feel are acceptable and essential to retain good 'banter' round the table

"Ive got big slick"
"Ive got the nut flush"
etc

Are not things that are acceptable to me.

Regards
Stuart