Author Topic: BB is all-in for less than the BB pre-flop;Opener is all-in for less than the BB  (Read 6965 times)

Vincenzo Morabito

• TDA Member & Active Poster
Hi all, Today in the room during the bubble, a player all-in had less than the BB. even less than the SB. I allowed to call the lower bet than the bb.

Now I have seen the thread :"BB is all-in for less than the BB pre-flop; Opener is all-in for less than the BB post-flop:"

http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?topic=1040.0

I've also seen some argue that it could be reasonable to allow calling a smaller amount than a bb preflop as well, while everyone agrees postflop to call the amount even if it's less than a bb.

Technically I believe that respecting the real amount of a bet could be important as the structure of the BB. The principle of the value of the single chip is common and almost naturally and organically shared as a very solid principle.(popular "one chip one chair")
-principle of the chip raise
-bet or raise leaving less than one BB behind
-opening of raises and minimum raises.
Just as some examples about detailed orientend principles.

I would be grateful to anyone who could deeply argue why a player who is faced with a bet less than the BB preflop, should bet at least one BB and raise at least 2 BBs. while post flop he can call a smaller amount and then possibly raise by 1 BB as in the examples in the link. Thanks a lot in advance for any replies.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 10:10:33 PM by Vincenzo Morabito »

Nick C

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Hello, Vincenzo

I'm not positive I will give you the answer you are looking for...but I will tell you the way I have always handled the situation you described.

First we will need to understand that the only time a player, on the BB, can post less than the BB is when they are all in with less.

When there are multiple players in a hand and the BB has less than the required amount, the next active player may either fold, call by putting in the proper BB or raise in the amount of at least double the BB. The only time a call for less can be made is when the action is head to head.

The only time, post flop, that a player can initiate a bet less than the size of the BB is if they are all in.

The minimum bet in all forms of poker can never be less than the bring-in or the BB. There are some forms of "limit" games that increase the minimum bet on specific "streets."

Limit games will dictate the required minimum amount. In a 5 and 10 limit holdem game, the bets are fixed. 5 pre-flop...5 on the flop and 10 on the turn and 10 on the river.

The same is true in a stud game. Seven card stud 5 and 10...the bets are fixed. The first two betting rounds are 5 and beginning on 5th street the last three bets are 10.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 04:25:53 AM by Nick C »

Vincenzo Morabito

• TDA Member & Active Poster
I agree with you and your way of doing regularly ascertained. Listening to different reasons, I'd like to see what is the most use, fixed in the TDA regulation.

Thanks for your answer Nick!

Nick C

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
You're welcome, Vincenzo

I have found that the raise rules are the most complex and often confusing. I always teach my students to focus on the rules for limit games before trying to comprhend no limit and pot limit.

There are numerous past posts on raise rules...too many to count.

If you have the time to look back, I believe you might get a better understanding about minimum raise rules and how they are different between limit (fixed bet) and no limit.

I'd be happy to go over this further if you have any more questions.