Author Topic: Version 1.0 of TDA Rules for 2019 - Please Add Potential Corrections to V1.0  (Read 10654 times)

BillM16

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
As I work to update my version of the iPhone app (see link below my signature), I have noticed a few potential corrections.

As others have also worked on translations to other languages, I thought it might be a good idea to start this topic for the purpose of:
Documenting potential corrections to version 1.0 of 2019.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 09:11:00 AM by BillM16 »

BillM16

TDA 2019 Rule #3:  Official Terminology and Gestures

See also Rules 2 & 42.

I recommend that we drop the "See also" as it it incomplete.

There are several other rules that address the use of clear declarations and gestures.  For example:
#40, #46, #50, #57 and related Recommended Procedures and Illustrations.

BillM16

TDA Rule #4: Player Identity
House standards will apply in the sole judgment of the TD.

There are several variations of the phrase "house standards will apply" throughout the rules.  The same is true in the case of the phrase "sole judgment of the TD."  I recommend that all of these variations be reduced into common and well-known phrases:

"House rules apply."
"Subject to TD discretion."

HOUSE: #5, #6, #26, #35A, #35E, #48
TD: #11D, #13B, #17, #18B, #29, #41, #49, #51B, #59, #65, #71
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 05:43:44 PM by BillM16 »

BillM16

TDA Rule #18 Asking to See a Hand
See Illustration Addendum [adopted 2013].

We can drop the unneeded:
[adopted 2013]
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 05:43:03 PM by BillM16 »

BillM16

TDA Rule #24:  Chip Race, Scheduled Color Ups
B: Players must have their chips fully visible and are encouraged to witness the chip race.
TDA Rule #25:  Cards & Chips Kept Visible, Countable, & Manageable. Discretionary Color-Ups
B: TDs control the number and denominations of chips in play and may color up at their discretion. Discretionary color ups are to be announced.
C: Players must keep live hands in plain view at all times.

These might be reorganized into:

#24 Visibility of Chips and Hands
#25 Chip Races and Color Ups

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 05:42:16 PM by BillM16 »

BillM16

TDA Rule 42: Methods of Raising
Note: 2-motion raises eliminated in 2019.

This sounds a lot like string bets.  To be clear, I recommend:

Declaring "raise" followed by pushing calling chips, followed by a second push of raising chips, is no longer allowed. [adopted 2019]
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 05:41:54 PM by BillM16 »

BillM16

TDA Rule #5: Electronic Devices and Communication
Players may not talk on a phone at the table. Ring tones, music, images, video etc. should be inaudible and non-disturbing to others.

"Etc.," when used in the middle of a sentence should be as follows:

Players may not talk on a phone at the table. Ring tones, music, images, video, etc., should be inaudible and non-disturbing to others.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 05:22:04 PM by BillM16 »

BillM16

TDA Rule #6: Official Language
The house will clearly post and announce acceptable language(s) at the table.

I doubt that the house will do the announcement or posting at the table.  Perhaps this would be more accurate?

Acceptable languages, spoken at the table, will be announced and clearly posted by the house.

BillM16

TDA Rule #7: Random Correct Seating
Tournament and satellite seats will be randomly assigned. A player starting in a wrong seat with a correct chip stack will move to the correct seat with his or her current total chip stack.

The wording in the second sentence begs the question of what to do with a wrongly seated player with a wrong chip stack.  Regardless, the second sentence could be:

A player who started in a wrong seat will be moved to the correct seat. If they started with a correct stack, they will take that stack to the correct seat.  Otherwise, TD's discretion will apply.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 06:14:19 PM by BillM16 »

BillM16

TDA Rule #12: Declarations. Card Speak at Showdown
Any player, in the hand or not, should speak up if he or she thinks a mistake is made in reading hands or calculating and awarding the pot.

Several rules are using the gender neutral he or she, which is antiquated and cumbersome.  Instead, the term they can be substituted and in some cases used in the singular, where appropriate.  See American Dialect Society.  Also, Merriam-Webster dictionary recently added the word "they" as a non-binary pronoun that can refer to just one person.

#12: if he or she thinks - becomes - if they think
#15B: thinking he or she has won - becomes - thinking they won (singular) - or - thinking they have won (plural)
#29: he or she may call - becomes - they may call
#46B: he or she may not - becomes - they may not
#62: if he or she wins - becomes - if they win
#62: he or she is not saved - becomes - they are not saved
#45 Illustration: he or she is all-in - becomes - they are all-in

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 06:13:18 AM by BillM16 »

BROOKS

TDA Rule #6: Official Language
The house will clearly post and announce acceptable language(s) at the table.

I doubt that the house will do the announcement or posting at the table.  Perhaps this would be more accurate?

Acceptable languages, spoken at the table, will be announced and clearly posted by the house.

This isn't saying they will announce it at the table. It says they will announce/post what languages are acceptable to be spoken at the table.

BROOKS

TDA Rule #12: Declarations. Card Speak at Showdown
Any player, in the hand or not, should speak up if he or she thinks a mistake is made in reading hands or calculating and awarding the pot.

Several rules are using the gender neutral he or she, which is antiquated and cumbersome.  Instead, the term they can be substituted and in some cases used in the singular, where appropriate.  See American Dialect Society.  Also, Merriam-Webster dictionary recently added the word "they" as a non-binary pronoun that can refer to just one person.

#12: if he or she thinks - becomes - if they think
#15B: thinking he or she has won - becomes - thinking they won (singular) - or - thinking they have won (plural)
#29: he or she may call - becomes - they may call
#46B: he or she may not - becomes - they may not
#62: if he or she wins - becomes - if they win
#62: he or she is not saved - becomes - they are not saved
#45 Illustration: he or she is all-in - becomes - they are all-in

I agree, they should all be "they". Easy and simple.