Author Topic: Crazy story: card dealt from muck - what would YOU have done?  (Read 8708 times)

MisterD

• TDA Member & Active Poster
I help run a 5/5 PLO home game and the nuttiest thing happened last night. I wasn't there, but here's the story I got from the player most upset by it.

• 3 players pay to see the Turn.
  • Our Hero pots the Turn and next-to-act folds. While last-to-act is considering the bet, the dealer realizes that, because he had put the stub down (mistake #1) in order to cash-out a player in the middle of the hand (mistake #2), he had accidentally picked up the mucked cards and dealt the Turn Card from that pile (unbelievable mistake #3)
  • To his credit, the dealer immediately announced the error.

I wasn't there and I'm still getting reports about what happened, but I assume that the dealer mucked the improper Turn Card, dealt a correct one and then rewound action (the bet and fold) and allowed all three players to start the round again from the correct Turn card. Now, our Hero is pissed because a) the improper Turn had given him top full house and b) his action revealed information about his hand... but there's nothing we can do about that. The only other way I can imagine ruling is to declare a misdeal, unwind the entire hand, return all chips to all players and deal a new hand without moving the button.

Anything I'm missing? Any other input (other than serious training for the dealer)?

GreggPath

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Crazy story: card dealt from muck - what would YOU have done?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 01:11:10 PM »
Is there any way to be sure that the correct cards were used when things were corrected? I don't know if there is a good rule to use here, but I would be apt to cancel the hand and rewind bets if possible.

tommarsden

• TDA Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 02:39:33 PM »
How was the fold reversed? Were his cards not put into the muck? Dealer mistake #4.

MisterD

• TDA Member & Active Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 09:21:05 AM »
@GreggPath: The stub was untouched, so dealing the "true" turn and river was no problem.

@tommarsden: The folded cards (from the player in the middle) were mucked but still clearly identifiable. So unfolding was possible.

My interest in the hand is mostly academic at this point but I have gathered more information and can fill in some more details. The Hero in my story (the player most hurt by the mistake) really flew off the handle when the dealer unwound the action, pulled the wrong Turn off the board and dealt another one. He tabled his hand to show that the bad Turn had given him a full house and started to rant and rave... then shoved all in and lost the hand.

In retrospect, I think that my dealer handled it as best he could (given the errors), but it was simply a bad situation.

Nick C

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 09:30:24 AM »
My reply will not give you any solution. In my decades of dealing, I've never heard of a dealer setting the deck down and then picking it back up to deal. Forced to make a decision I would have to lean in the direction of returning all bets and doing a redeal. I can't imagine that it would ever happen again.