Author Topic: About new rules Big blind Ante and Baton ante  (Read 5809 times)

BIG AL

• TDA Member & Active Poster
About new rules Big blind Ante and Baton ante
« on: June 16, 2018, 05:22:21 AM »
Regards to all guys,  I have one uncertainty about the new rule "Big blind ante and baton ante" What happens if an idly little blind does the player on the big blind put an ante again for everything or not? It's the same if we have a dead piston. Who then puts an ante?

Steff0111

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: About new rules Big blind Ante and Baton ante
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 01:41:37 AM »
In button ante games it is possible that there is no ante (dead button).

Some poker rooms play with big blind ante because it is the only position which appears in every hand.
So there is always an ante!

NoMat

• TDA Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 10:41:44 AM »
Among other problems and inequities, a big blind (or any single "ante") creates a situation that I find nowhere else in poker. A player is forced to put chips at risk in the pot. He can win those chips back but never more. Consider betting on a flip of a coin. You are forced to put in a dollar and I put in nothing. You win your dollar if it is tails and I win your dollar if it is heads.

Directors report that players like them. They dictate "Big Blind Antes are here to stay". Funny, table talk at the table is the extreme opposite. Perhaps this is the "silent" majority thing.

Boris

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • International Poker dealer (EU)
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 07:12:44 AM »
Consolidated ante is an admission of failure to educate the players to be carreful about the game. If all the players at the table are focused, there is no problem with running ante.

But the fact is, consolidate ante really speeds up the game, does not bother players who are just waiting their cards to be dealt and dealers really appreciate to have only 1 player to ask (if needed) and only 1 movement to do to retrieve the ante.

To make the comparison between BTN and BB ante, I think Big Blind Ante is a better format for 2 reasons :
1. There is always an ante in the pot (only exception is when BB stack is equal or below to the big blind amount)
2. On BTN Ante, if the BTN stack is below the BB amount, he only plays for his chips while the other players can call without taking the risk to refund the short stack player (Who said bubble time ?)

NoMat

• TDA Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 05:37:06 PM »
A new name will be needed for this single pot contribution. The definition of ante everywhere you look is an equal amount put in the pot by all players. A consolidated ante is an oxymoron. It is a different animal and causes strategy changes in the game. A button "ante" changes it the least and has the least impact on any one player or position. No one complains about when there is no small blind. Choosing the big blind to "ante" is simply a way to force short stacks to be at risk sooner.

Perhaps a consolidated "ante" is a short lived transition. Antes were the primary user of 25 value chips. With consolidated "ante" only the first couple of blind levels use them. Save time? Why do we need 25 value chips at all - messy to count, messy to play with, messy to make change, and have to be bought up after a couple levels.  Start with a couple more thousand in chips, start blinds at 100-200 instead of 50-100, (25-50?), and get rid of any kind of ante entirely and let the blinds drive the tournament. Cleaner, more efficient, faster, less confusing.