Author Topic: Boxed cards clarification  (Read 4293 times)

BROOKS

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Boxed cards clarification
« on: September 25, 2016, 03:52:34 AM »
Rule 34 Misdeals 1) two or more boxed cards on the initial deal

What exactly is initial deal referring to?
It sounds like it means during the pitch? But I've always thought that any 2nd boxed card found during the hand at any point results in a misdeal

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Boxed cards clarification
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 04:23:10 AM »
Hello Brooks,

The initial deal refers to: The first two down cards in hold'em...The first four down cards in Omaha...The first three cards in stud, two down and one up...or, as you said the initial pitched cards.

You are correct about "old rules" that did not specify initial deal. As far as the TDA, I looked back and discovered the words "initial deal" were added in 2013. Somehow that slight change was not highlighted in red, as usual, when showing the changes from the previous Summit (2011).

It should bring up some interesting debate. My guess is, multiple boxed cards that occur late in a hand, might conflict with other TDA rules...such as Substantial Action. Look to TDA #34 D) Once substantial action occurs a misdeal can not be declared; the hand must proceed.

Max D

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 09:40:49 AM »
I agree with Nick on the definition, and I would also agree that after substantial action you cannot call a misdeal anymore...
Max D
Less talking, more dealing.

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 09:16:42 AM »
Roberts Rules stated that discovery of two boxed cards at any point resulted in a misdeal.  The trend has moved away from that.  Instead, it's two boxed cards when dealing out every player's initial cards.  Discovery of additional boxed cards later are just removed.  Best practice is when you find one boxed card on the deal spread the cards out carefully face down and find out then and there if there are additional.  If there are, just kill the hand and redeal.