Author Topic: Dealer awards pot too quickly  (Read 3534 times)

K-Lo

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
Dealer awards pot too quickly
« on: August 25, 2015, 08:27:51 PM »
I know we discussed a similar topic many years ago on the forum, but I was recently asked this question again and it seemed like a good idea to do a re-poll, since we have some new active members.

Situation 1:

Pre-flop. Everyone folds around to the button. Dead small blind. Before the button has had a chance to act, the dealer -- acting very quickly -- pushes the pot to the BB, and grabs the BB's cards (presumably unprotected) and puts them in the muck. Button says "WAIT!" and still has cards, but it's too late.

Situation 2:

Same as above, but BB's cards are protected, and released only after the dealer pushes him the pot, in exchange. Button says "WAIT!" and still has cards, but it's too late.

Situation 3:

Same as one of the above situations, but SB has folded (OOT) in the interim.  Button says "WAIT!" and still has cards, but it's too late.

In all cases, the dealer admits he was going too fast and didn't see the button's cards.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:30:28 PM by K-Lo »

BillM16

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Dealer awards pot too quickly
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 07:26:32 AM »
These are difficult situations.  One question I would need to ask is whether or not the button is keeping his cards in clear view?  Obviously the button has an obligation to follow the action, protect his right to act, and keep his cards in view.  You titled this "dealer awards pot too quickly" and you say "the dealer admits that was going too fast and didn't see the button's cards."  Under those circumstances it seems that neither the BB or the Button have done anything wrong.  I'd most like split the pot between them and move on.