Author Topic: raise or call?  (Read 5568 times)

The Hitman

• TDA Member & Active Poster
raise or call?
« on: March 02, 2010, 09:29:45 AM »
hello,

I have a specific situation to present:
It was a MTT in south of France, blinds are 25/50.

Midlle position player calll 50 (with 2 chips of 25), cut-off raises to 275, button calls, sb and bb fold.
Action returns on the players who previously called 50: he throws a chip of 500 without taking back his 2 chips, dealer announces "raise" and player says:"no that's a call".

What is the correct decision to take?

There were several floor managers, they didn't agree between them to know if it was a call or a raise.

I think it's a raise because there were 2 chips engaged before,  he said nothing while throwing his chip and the amount was exactly the double of the previous bet.

What is your opinion?

Thank you by advance.

Stuart Murray

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: raise or call?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
dogzy,

Under TDA rules in this situation it is clearly considered a call, however that is not considering the house or event rules.

TDA rules specify the following:

32.   Oversized Chip
Anytime when facing a bet (or blind), placing a single oversized chip in the pot is a call if a raise is not first verbally declared. To raise with a single oversized chip, a declaration must be made before the chip hits the table surface. If a raise is declared (but not an amount), the raise is the maximum allowable for that chip. When not facing a bet, placing an oversized chip in the pot without declaration is a bet of the maximum allowable for the chip.

As the player was facing new action (ie the raise to 275) his two 25 chips do not count towards the total 550 unless a raise is first announced before placing the 500 in.  Furthermore the single 500 chips does not meet the new rule 33 standard for multiple chips.

I can understand how it would be construed as a raise however several issues to meet the criteria of a raise have not been fulfilled in this case.

Regards
Stuart
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 11:31:51 AM by stuamurr »