Author Topic: High Carding  (Read 6471 times)

Steven

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
High Carding
« on: January 13, 2014, 09:18:13 PM »
Procedurally, are you all high-carding 1) for the button at tournament start, and 2) for the button at redraws, including final table, and 3) for who gets the first seat card at a broken table ?

If not, what  are your methods?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 09:33:08 PM by Steven »

chet

Re: High Carding
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:33:36 PM »
Steven:

In response:

1.  Yes, but only the #1 table deals for High Card to determine which seat will be the button for the 1st hand at the start.  There  is no point in having each table deal for an individual table button and this saves some time usually.
2.  Yes and No.  Only at the final table would I redraw for the button. 
3.  No.  Seat cards are distributed randomly by the floor person, there is no point in high carding, in my opinion.

Chet

Steven

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 06:20:12 AM »
Thanks, Chet!

Responding,

1) agreed, one table high cards for button to be used by all tables

2) agree with final table, but if there is a redraw at say 27 players I would think one table would then high card for button to be used at all 3 tables

3) I think to help provide more integrity to the game and to protect the floor person from being accused of favoritism, the seat cards should be randomly shuffled and then the high-card procedure would determine the first player to get the top of the seat card "deck" with the rest being distributed clockwise from that point! Without the high card, there may be some concern that the seat card "deck" is stacked in some way, with the first person getting some preferable position. Additionally, this method prevents the floor person from prematurely distributing the seat cards before the current hand is over (because the card deck would be required, and it is not available until the hand is over), allowing all players to move close to simultaneously, without leaving a heads up showdown behind.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 06:21:49 AM by Steven »

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 08:22:30 AM »
Hi Steven:

1.  Yes, I prefer high carding at the start, at one table for use at all tables.  The other option is to always start your tournaments with the button in the same place (e.g. seat 1, seat 10), but I believe the random draw is more transparent.
2. I treat this the same as 1. The button has to start somewhere.
3. Yes, I draw for high card before randomly distributing seat cards. Again, I think this is more transparent. If you are not going to high card, then the better alternative would be to shuffle and lay all the cards on the table and let the players pick a card themselves, rather than just simply handing them starting out from seat 1 for example (for essentially the reasons you pointed out in your follow up post).

Cheers
K

Tristan

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 02:18:32 PM »
Procedurally, are you all high-carding
1) for the button at tournament start
2) for the button at redraws, including final table, and
3) for who gets the first seat card at a broken table ?

1) Yes, I pick one table to do the draw.  I make sure they have at least two players before they do it and they draw for all seats.
2) Yes.  Even though it is a double random, I feel that it removes all doubt.
3) No.  I scramble the cards and toss them face down on the table and allow players to draw.  The dealers watch to make sure no one re-draws.  I do this only because it is faster than high-carding.
Tristan
@TristanWilberg on Twitter

WSOPMcGee

• The R.O.P.E.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 03:40:19 AM »
3) No.  I scramble the cards and toss them face down on the table and allow players to draw.  The dealers watch to make sure no one re-draws.  I do this only because it is faster than high-carding.

Something I'm going to start doing is walking up to the table, locate the button and start pitching seat cards. No need for the players to draw and no need for the dealer to watch for players who redraw. JMP - Just My Procedure.
@wsopmcgee on Twitter

Tristan

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 10:16:15 AM »

Something I'm going to start doing is walking up to the table, locate the button and start pitching seat cards. No need for the players to draw and no need for the dealer to watch for players who redraw. JMP - Just My Procedure.

What stops the allegations when your friend happens to get a good draw (soft table, in behind button, etc) a couple of times in a row.  Theoretically, since you assigned the card, you could have set it up.   I only ask because those allegations happened here before with a previous TD.  Other than that, I like it!  ;D
Tristan
@TristanWilberg on Twitter

WSOPMcGee

• The R.O.P.E.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 01:29:14 PM »

What stops the allegations when your friend happens to get a good draw (soft table, in behind button, etc) a couple of times in a row.  Theoretically, since you assigned the card, you could have set it up.   I only ask because those allegations happened here before with a previous TD.  Other than that, I like it!  ;D
I suppose. But that requires premeditation on part of the TD. Much more thought than I'm willing to put into the effort of breaking a table :)

When I think of different procedures I always to put it in terms of fields greater than 20 tables and how can I do it expeditiously. Especially in events like the Series, I'm running around so much trying to accumulate enough seat cards as fast as possible to break a table, I don't have time to think about things like setting up the order of the seat cards to distribute. Frankly it's just not that important to me and you can't buy off my integrity anyways.

I know there are people out there in positions of authority who could be bought off and preferential treatment is a concern. Karma always comes a calling in situations like this and I don't need any bad Karma.

Apparently Karma caught to the previous TD before you. Hahaha.
@wsopmcgee on Twitter