Author Topic: Payout beyond the bubble  (Read 3903 times)

Steven

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Payout beyond the bubble
« on: January 27, 2014, 01:32:03 PM »
Not sure if we've talked about this but if so, can we revisit?

Do any of you disallow the remaining players to vote to redistribute payout money to multiple places beyond the posted payouts?

For example, 7 players are to be paid, but the final table players want to pay 10 spots.

IMHO I think that the remaining prize pool is the players' money and they should have the right to vote to redistribute.

Thoughts?

Tristan

Re: Payout beyond the bubble
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
I allow 2 total chops deals per tournament.  For example, if they want to pay the bubble, that counts as one chop...and any other chop must be a tournament ending chop.  I felt the need to do this to prevent errors on the payouts which can easily occur when they have made 3-4 different deals.
Tristan
@TristanWilberg on Twitter

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:27:46 PM »
In principle, I see no problems with that.  House rules will apply though - whatever you are willing to do administratively.

Steven

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 06:08:19 PM »
Tristan,

Just to be clear, you mentioned you're ok with paying the bubble.

My example, shows the players agreeing to pay beyond the bubble.

I find that for a small field, when the normal payout structure would pay maybe 5 to 8 players, that when the players agree to pay a nominal value to the rest of the final table (taking the extra payouts from the existing pool) that that is a very "feel good "  thing to do. Furthermore, there is some opinion that it does tend to speed the play of the game as the shorter stacks are more willing to gamble, knowing they are already getting paid!

I mentioned the final table, but this "beyond the bubble" payout still proves to be of value for multi-tables when the prescribed payout is more than ten players.

This concept proves to be quite popular when the field consists of a regular crowd who appreciate the satisfaction of having cashed and can then maybe apply that payout to the next tournament or some other immediate expense!

My feeling is that when a particular venue does not support paying beyond the bubble that they are losing the benefits mentioned above, and in fact are denying the players from distributing the prize pool, which is owned by the players, according to a unanimous vote!

Of course, if the Tournament staff feels that there is a disruptive influence to such a vote, staff could then act accordingly! But a smooth and quick vote leading to payout of all participating players, IMHO can be "nice"!

Note that "where" the money is taken from (e.g., off the top, or from first and second) can sometimes be a bit controversial. Sometimes it proves better to spread it across the entire payout structure. In fact, there is some opinion that the money maybe could come from the lower end of the payout since they may be the ones fighting to get paid! Over the long run though I think it's probably better to pull from the top end, noting however, that this restructure must be unanimously approved!

Thanks!

Tristan

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 06:58:28 PM »
Oh, I'm ok with paying beyond the bubble as well!

I've had chops deals of 20+ people.  Sometimes it's to pay extra people, other times it's 'each of us takes x amount and we play for the rest'.

In my opinion, the prize pool belongs to these people and they can do with it as they see fit!  Plus it usually ends up speeding up the event.

I do make sure that they all agree, that they all understand where the money comes from, and if there is even one 'no' I shut down all chop talks unless that player is the one to bring them up.  I don't want anyone getting badgered.
Tristan
@TristanWilberg on Twitter