Author Topic: Rule 27: language issue  (Read 7412 times)

popposoft

• TDA Member
Rule 27: language issue
« on: August 10, 2013, 05:39:38 AM »
Hello, I know this is a stupid question, but I just can't understand the meaning of a sentence

If the player has not acted by the end of the countdown, the hand is dead. A tie goes to the player. At TDs discretion, the time allowed under this rule may be reduced.

What that does mean? Is that in relation to the player's chips? Or to some possible penalties?

Can someone clarify that sentence to me, please?

Thanks a lot.

RockyPhillips

• TDA Member & Active Poster
Re: Rule 27: language issue
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 06:27:16 AM »

If the player has not acted by the end of the countdown, the hand is dead. A tie goes to the player. At TDs discretion, the time allowed under this rule may be reduced.

A tie goes to the player. = If at the last second the player act's the player will be allowed the action.

At TDs discretion, the time allowed under this rule may be reduced. = If a player is constantly having clock called due to delay of play the TD may reduce the time from 60 seconds to for example 45 seconds, and then 30 seconds.

popposoft

• TDA Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 06:29:23 AM »
Well, of course only the underlined sentence was necessary :D

however, thanks a lot, now I got the meaning of "a tie goes to the player"

K-Lo

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 06:59:03 AM »
This is a good question/observation.  As Rocky noted, in the case of what seems to be a tie at the end of the countdown, you can give the player the benefit of the doubt and allow him to act.

I'm curious to know whether the phrase "the tie goes to the X" is actually American slang, or a common enough construction that would still be understood by English speakers outside of North America.

popposoft

• TDA Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 07:04:27 AM »
What a relief!!! I'm not so stupid afterall... :)

Well, I think I should point out how difficult to read is rule #43, but I'm going OT and fortunately enough there's plenty of explanations for that rule.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 07:07:29 AM by popposoft »

MikeB

• Administrator
  • TDA Member & Veteran Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 09:01:07 AM »

Well, I think I should point out how difficult to read is rule #43, but I'm going OT and fortunately enough there's plenty of explanations for that rule.
Rule 43 is one of those rules that no matter how you write it, someone looking at it the first time is going to need several illustrations. Hence the new Illustration Addendum in all LONGFORM versions of the rules:
http://www.pokertda.com/poker-tda-rules/

popposoft

• TDA Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 09:16:27 AM »
I'm curious to know whether the phrase "the tie goes to the X" is actually American slang, or a common enough construction that would still be understood by English speakers outside of North America.

Let me say about that... I asked to a very good friend of mine that does translations for living: never heard about that syntax. I googled the sentence and it seems to be found only in the baseball rules (for the runner) and I wasn't really sure about the meaning after reading that phrase in that context.

I think it should be rephrased in a more comprehensive way for the sake of simplicity.