Author Topic: Raising all-in "blind"  (Read 4684 times)

K-Lo

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
Raising all-in "blind"
« on: March 08, 2013, 09:04:03 AM »
What is your attitude towards players who announce to the table that they are moving all-in "blind"?  Perhaps they have a short-ish stack and they just want to double-up or go home, or they just want to give up an leave?  Do you consider this chip dumping or soft play?  Or it is acceptable practice since everyone at the table can benefit equally?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Raising all-in "blind"
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:36:32 AM »
Hello Ken,

The best way to answer your question, (in my opinion) is to only discourage an out of turn all-in. There is no rule violation for an all-in raise from under the gun. I'm sure there's more to your question but, at the moment, I can't see any reason to suspect collusion or any violation; especially when the cards must be tabled at the showdown.

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 11:06:04 AM »
Nick:

Just so that my question is clear - suppose that there is no doubt that the player has not yet looked at his cards (e.g. they are still lying out in front of the player where the dealer placed them), are we ok with the player going all-in so long as he does so in turn?   

As an extension to this question: Would it matter if he was in the sb and everyone folded to him?  Would it matter if he showed 3-2 and then went all-in?

Nick C

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 11:36:44 AM »
Ken,

The first part of your question is exactly what I was referring to in my answer. How can you stop it? Is it any different than a player that pretends to look at his cards, or only looks at 1 card and then raises?

Your extended question: Would it matter if he was in the sb and everyone folded to him?   I don't see much difference.

The last question, I'm not sure I understand. If you are saying that he is showing his cards (deuce three) before going all-in, I guess you can assess a penalty if he wins the hand. Otherwise, he's on his way home anyway.

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 04:56:58 PM »
Is it any different than a player that pretends to look at his cards, or only looks at 1 card and then raises?

I guess the perception by other players could be different.  If it is clear that he hasn't looked at his cards, especially if he is in the SB or has 2-3, how do you respond if a player alleges that it is an attempt at chip dumping?

Nick C

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 05:57:33 PM »
Ken,

I don't know how you can figure he's dumping chips pre-flop. He just might get lucky and win with any holecards...so how can we accuse him of chip dumping? Remember, he's all-in, so he must show his hand.

What does a player's holding (pre-flop) have to do with anything? Maybe he's bluffing. The best players are always telling us that they play the player, not their cards.

IMO, chip dumping is difficult to assume, and virtually impossible to prove, in your scenario.

Stuart Murray

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 04:43:43 PM »
I only allow it if I have a strong hand of ;-)

In all seriousness though I allow it as long as it doesn't become standard play, which is when I would start talking to people, a person who is all-in of still has variance and a random board in their favour, even against a player who wakes up with aces.

Stu