Author Topic: Wrong Starting Stack  (Read 5191 times)

K-Lo

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
Wrong Starting Stack
« on: February 16, 2013, 08:54:32 AM »
I stole this from the TDA feed...  an interesting situation:

Start of the tournament, all players are given 3K chips to start. 9 tables.  A few blind levels in, it is discovered that one table had all players start with extra chips:  5K instead of 3K.  What do you do?

As a follow-up, what do you do if the situation is reversed:  i.e. everyone started with X chips, but some players were accidentally given less than X chips to start?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Wrong Starting Stack
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 09:10:16 AM »
Ken, I guess being only a few blinds in, I would give the extra 2K to the other 8 tables. Not sure if any players were eliminated in the first few hands. Not too many options. I guess early on, with no serious action you could remove the extra from the players at 1 table. There might be some grumbling for sure but, what else can you do.

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 09:58:38 AM »
Actually, I believe in the actual situation, it was not discovered until the third blind LEVEL, when one player busted out, and a new player came into the table and wondered why he was being given the wrong starting stack.  So quite a bit of time has passed...

Nick C

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 03:53:41 PM »
Ken,

My mistake. Wow, that is a tough one. I thought that it was a few hands, not a few blind levels. Unfortunately, it appears some refunds might be in order. I guess it will depend on how many players were eliminated.

Hmm, this one is going to take a lot more time to sort out, than I have at the moment. Sounds like a good one for the Board of Directors, (Mike Bishop).

Nick C

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:54:59 AM »
Okay...I give up :-\ What did they decide?

Tristan

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 03:46:46 PM »
That is a tough situation.  I guess the only way you could still include that table in the tournament is to take the excess chips.  2k from each player, 4k from the player who knocked out the other player. 

It also appears that registration is still open at this point.  You could offer refunds (like Nick said) or just start that table over at the 3k original stacks.

Any of the options are rough.

Tristan
@TristanWilberg on Twitter

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 04:12:07 PM »
That is a tough situation.  I guess the only way you could still include that table in the tournament is to take the excess chips.  2k from each player, 4k from the player who knocked out the other player. 

I believe that's what they did!