Author Topic: 11 player tournament question  (Read 6179 times)

squiggly

• TDA Member
11 player tournament question
« on: October 13, 2012, 09:28:57 AM »
This is a home game question, but I would like the input of the tournament directors.

We are having a satellite tournament to a WSOPC event today. I have 11 people registered. Which is more correct, and more fair to the players? One single table of 11 or two short-handed tables of 5 and 6? Exclude any thoughts about paying dealers from your reasoning, since that is not an issue.

Thanks!

Stuart Murray

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: 11 player tournament question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 09:38:39 AM »
I would always advise against 11 handed at a table, the Poker TDA requires final tables of 10 players, which is why you see 10 before the november 9 at the WSOP Main Event.

Players will always prefer a 5/6 handed split and as a TD prospective it does encourage more action, as the shorter handed a table is the more action occurs.

Regards
Stuart

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 06:10:33 PM »
I agree with Stuart.  Playing 11-handed is boring as heck.

JasperToo

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
we do 11 handed table.  Though I think it is all about personal preference for your particular players.  Our folks simply tend to like the 11 handed table rather than the two short tables.  Especially in a home game where it is generally up to the crowd.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 08:44:55 PM »
Jasper,

I'm with you on this one. In the wee hours of the morning the player's preferred 11 handed over two weaker 5 or 6 handed games. I don't play as much as I used to and I realize the game is changing but, like you say Jasper, it's about personal preference. Give them what they want.

Tristan

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 10:21:39 AM »
In the past we have done some tournaments 11 handed, but it was because 25 tables was our max and we would be capped.  We went 11 to accommodate more players. 

Since then I have been able to steer away from that and we always go 10 max 5/6 on final 2 tables.
Tristan
@TristanWilberg on Twitter

Spence

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 08:13:14 AM »
starting the tournament with 11 is fine but a final table should never be played with 11.
In your case you are starting a "Final" table with 11. I see no problem with this. I would prefer to pay fewer blinds and get some information on my players rather than changing my game style from short handed to full then back to short-handed as players are eliminiated. Also I feel that a 6-5 ssplit may casue some advantage on one table over another.
If you do choose to go 6-5 then I would play hand for hand until someone was eliminated to reduce unfairness, then at 10 combine and play through.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 08:41:53 AM »
Spence,

Your hand for hand is a good suggestion.

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 09:00:48 AM »
If you know that it will be exactly 11 players, my preference would be to start 11 handed.  The dynamic of play changes drastically from 5 handed back to 10 handed.  You're forcing a lot more action at the beginning of the tournament with only 5 players on the one table in what (IMO) should be the "feeling out" stage of the game.  Starting 11 may not be comfortable as far as seating goes but starting with a large table ensures equal fairness for all players.  Starting 5 at one and at the other gives a slight edge to the  handed table.  Playing "hand-for-hand" at the beginning of the tournament makes it more fair, but I would still think it pretty lame.
I've played in plenty of home game tournaments that played 11 handed and it was always preferable to me.

Now that you've heard my opinion... I think you should ask your players what they prefer.  Just take a vote might be the best way to handle it.