Author Topic: Smelly player  (Read 10111 times)

pineforest

• TDA Member & Active Poster
Smelly player
« on: February 09, 2010, 07:33:41 AM »
Hello everyone,
I'd like to hear how some of you handle the player how smells so bad that other players complain?
I have TD'd a tournament where we did ask a player to go to their room shower, but not all stay where they play.
I can't wait to hear the responces.
Thanks

chet

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Smelly player
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 09:23:34 AM »
The WSOP has added this to the 2010 rules.  I refer you to Chapter IV, Rule 37, Part B.  The TD has the sole discretion as to the solution.  Which in my interpretation can include disqualification.  

From the 2010 WSOP Rules document, Section IV - PLAYER CONDUCT AND TOURAMENT INTEGRITY, Rule 37, Sub B: 

"B.  All participants are entitled to expect civility and courtesy from one another at every Tournament table and throughout the Tournament area.  Any individual who encounters behavior that is not civil or courteous - or is abusive in any way - is encouraged to immediately contact a Tournament official.  This shall include, but is not limited to, any player whose personal hygiene has become disruptive to the other players seated at their table.  The determination as to whether an individual's personal hygiene is disruptive to other players shall be determined by the Tournament Staff which may, in its discretion, implement sanctions upon any such player who refuses to remedy the situation in a manner satisfactory to Rio.(emphasis added)"

Hope this helps!!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 09:36:41 AM by chet »

LeScribe

• BrunoLeScribe
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:45:34 PM »
I remember, some year ago (maybe during 2006 or 2007 Main Event), that a young scandinavian player, with kind of rasta-blond-hair, was very disturbing to his neighbor because of his smelling. It was mainly because he did'nt change his t-shirt for 3 or 4 days long.
He sais that he passed Day 1 with this Tshirt, so he put it again on Day 2, and since he managed to pass Day 2 with it, he put it again on Day 3... and so on !
The floor people who came after an opponent ask to do something said he was sorry but there wasn't anything in the rules that was dealing with smelly player.

So, now, there's a rule :-)
Bruno
Every player wins at the end of any hand : some win money, other win experience...

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 02:39:10 AM »
I like the ruling where the tournament director or a responsible floor person can remove any offensive player (for just about any reason). I have had experience in the past, while working the floor, where not only a player, but a dealer had to be removed from the game because of body odor. Dealers that work overtime, or are locked-in, need to take a little time on one of their breaks, to take care of personal issues. I worked the floor in Las Vegas many years ago and also in New York (for the Seneca Nation of Indians). I always placed a strong emphasis on cleanliness for the dealers, including cleaning their fingernails with a nail brush. It's an uncomfortable position for any floorperson or supervisor to be in but, it needs to be addressed. Quietly calling the player off to the side and letting them know privately is best. They may not even be aware of their problem.
Nick Ciavarella

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 10:04:43 PM »
I had to ask a handicapped person whose colostomy bag smelled up the room to leave... that was uncomfortable.
Had to ask this overweight gentleman who couldn't use deodorant because of a skin allergy (or so he said) to leave.  That was uncomfortable.
Had to ask a blind guy who was under the influence and causing tables to break because of the way he was acting to leave....

It's never a pleasant thing, but it is part of the job.

Stuart Murray

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 06:23:37 PM »
It's a horrible thing to do but needs must,

I have had one occasion where due to my rappor with my players I just told the player he was needing a 'scoosh' of deodorant, and then handed him a can.

Stuart

Mrsvelvet

• Headhunter League Poker
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 10:32:02 AM »
PMSL!

Stuart That is Priceless!

I have had to have a "Discreet" word once or twice, never an enjoyable task I have to admit, fortunately I've never yet (Touch wood) had to seriously step in and take action. Although there was one time I politely suggested a player go get some Gum during a break because he had been eating something with Garlic in it (I was dealing and he was sat right opposite me) phew.!

Quiet & Discreet seems to work well for me.