Author Topic: chip and a chair?  (Read 4898 times)

markmagic

• TDA Member & Active Poster
chip and a chair?
« on: June 05, 2012, 10:08:32 AM »
i have a situation here and i need help about this

big blind has 25 chips left small blind $50 and the big blind is $100 ante $25

the big blind has 25 chips only for ante and he dont have chips for his big blind
there is no dead big in tournament and they said that there was a  rule about
chip and a chair as long as u have chips u can still play... i need help about this
situation

K-Lo

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
Re: chip and a chair?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 10:25:51 AM »
i have a situation here and i need help about this

big blind has 25 chips left small blind $50 and the big blind is $100 ante $25

the big blind has 25 chips only for ante and he dont have chips for his big blind
there is no dead big in tournament and they said that there was a  rule about
chip and a chair as long as u have chips u can still play... i need help about this
situation

MarkMagic:

The Big Blind will post his 25 ante, as will all the players at the table.  All those antes will be collected, and those antes will form the main pot.  The Big Blind is all-in, and if he wins this hand, he is only entitled to that main pot made up of everyone's antes.  To be clear, the Big Blind still plays the hand - he can only win the main pot though.

Now, the Small Blind will post 50, and the Big Blind will not post anything since he is already all-in.  However, subsequent players who act after the BB must still call for 100 (or raise to 200 or more, or fold).  All those pre-flop bets, including the 50 from the SB (but not including any of the antes) will form a separate side pot which everyone other than the BB is eligible to win.

K

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 01:29:06 PM »
I agree with K-lo here, spot on information.

A very similar and sometimes confusing (to some dealers and even some floors for some reason) presents itself when a player has less than a full blind and is all in in the big or small blind.  For instance, blinds are 200-400 with a 25 ante, the big blind only has 175.  First to act makes it 1200 and everyone folds including the small blind.  The player can only win from each other person what he began the hand with, so his 25 ante goes into the main pot along with everyone else.  He only has 150 left now so his 150 and the raiser's 150 go into the pot.  The small blind had 200 but only 150 can go into the main, so the raiser gets that 50 automatically. 
It's the kind of stuff that if you take your time and work out you'll figure it out, but it doesn't happen very often so people just don't think about it.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 04:33:07 PM »
Good advice from both Ken and Brian.