Author Topic: Substantial action: Dealer Specifically  (Read 12773 times)

K-Lo

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
Re: Substantial action: Dealer Specifically
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 10:57:07 PM »
I still want to know about the player that was skipped followed by substantial action and the dealer burning and turning the next card? I say the hand is dead. That has not been addressed.

Personally, I think players are more likely to honestly miss the fact that they've been skipped when all actions are "check".  It's much harder for a skipped player to make the excuse that he did not notice a player throwing chips into the pot. 

If the action is checked around, I think I would be OK with ruling that the option to bet is lost, but the hand is not dead, if the player that was skipped was followed by substantial action and/or dealer burning and turning.  Ruling the hand dead in this example seems a bit harsh given that none of the other players are really damaged by forcing the skipped player to check. However, if there was a bet that the skipped player did not call though, and further action and/or dealer burning and turning occurred, then I would rule the hand dead. 

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 03:24:05 PM »
K-Lo,
 It amazes me how many different scenarios come up on these discussions. You've brought a new situation to light, the skipped player on a checked round. I think I can agree with not killing the skipped players hand even after the dealer burns and turns. The board stays and so does the player. If the skipped player is followed by a call from another player and the dealer burns and turns, how do we rule? Are we counting the dealer? or do we need action from another player before the dealer in order to consider substantial action?
Finally, if the dealer burns and turns, (back to the old question) is the skipped players hand dead? or do we redeal the pre-mature board card?

I will agree with K-Lo and say his hand is dead and the board stays.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 07:50:38 PM by Nick C »

mooredog

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 08:52:48 PM »
For skipped players we usually use 3 actions, including the dealer if it's 2 actions by players followed by the dealer's tap, burn, and turn. Then it's a dead hand. I can't recall a situation where it was checked around and we killed a skipped player's hand but by the rules you should if 3 actions occured. Check, check, check can move so quickly that we usually will cut the player some slack. If the players took there time in checking and the missed player had plenty of time to say something then he/she is out of luck.