Author Topic: Why are showdown rules different from the norm, when any player is all-in?  (Read 39892 times)

Nick C

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Why are showdown rules different from the norm, when any player is all-in?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 08:00:16 AM »
Gentlemen,
 We seem to be in agreement on the right to see a called hand. The problem I'm having is the reason. I would rather a player request to see my hand, out of curiosity instead of suspecting me of collusion! There is no rule that prevents a player from seeing a called hand.

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 08:13:51 AM »
Gentlemen,
 We seem to be in agreement on the right to see a called hand. The problem I'm having is the reason. I would rather a player request to see my hand, out of curiosity instead of suspecting me of collusion! There is no rule that prevents a player from seeing a called hand.

But... since new TDA Rule #14 now makes revealing a mucked hand at showdown discretionary (at the TD's discretion), I think this practically has the effect of not permitting a called (but mucked) hand to be shown.  I think people are generally unlikely to "accuse" an opponent of collusion except under very rare circumstances, and even then, he has to make his case to the TD and I suspect that the TD will not grant such requests to show called (but mucked) hands lightly.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 09:35:44 AM »
K-Lo,
 For anyone that's ever played a hand of poker; at the showdown, one player all-in, did you ever have a player wait to see your cards before he shows his? Of course you have. You've probably done it yourself! So here's what happens, instead of speeding-up the game, it does the exact opposite. It reminds me of one of my pet peeves when I'm playing... I bet, the opposing player raises, I call...and then he says "what have you got? ???   I promise you this, I will never show my hand until I see his first.

I also would like to add this as a dealer responsibility, to co-ordinate the correct order of showdown. It does matter. You bet, I call, you show first. I bet, you call, I show first. 

We debated this subject at the Summit and everyone was not in agreement with what was the final draft, now TDA Rule #14. If we keep changing basic, traditional, time tested, standard rules like this one, the floorpersons can trade-in their Florshiems for Nikes'!  "FLOOR" oh FLOOR?" Floor to table 123, Johnny wants to see Sally's hand" Oh FLOOR"...floor to table 56...Billy-Bob thinks there's something funny going on? He insists on seeing....

If you call the last bet, or you are all-in, just be prepared to show your damn hand... Simple!

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:37:37 AM by Nick C »