Author Topic: IS IT A CALL, OR IS IT A RAISE???  (Read 4775 times)

thepokertour

• TDA Member
IS IT A CALL, OR IS IT A RAISE???
« on: October 03, 2011, 03:55:35 PM »
If anyone can answer this quetion I would be grateful.  I was managing a tournament the other day when the blinds were 100-200.  The player whose turn it was to act thought for several seconds then stated, "I call."  There was a very slight pause when the player then placed out a 500 chip and a 100 chip, for a total of 600.  3 players folded thinking it was a raise to 600.  When it got to the player who wanted to call the 200 an argument ensued between the other players and the dealer.  The dealer initially declared it a raise since there was a slight pause, even though it was after the player stated, "I call."  I was called over and ruled that it was a call of 200.  Who was right here?

Stuart Murray

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: IS IT A CALL, OR IS IT A RAISE???
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 04:05:36 PM »
A Verbal declaration in turn is binding and takes precedence over any physical action which follows.

It can only ever be a call, as this was firstly declared, the rest of the table I would tell to pay more attention to what was happening, rather than trying to overcomplicate issues.

Regards
Stuart

chet

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: IS IT A CALL, OR IS IT A RAISE???
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:44:19 PM »
Stuart is 100% correct.  Based on the information presented, the action CANNOT be considered a raise.  TDA Rule 35 applies.