Author Topic: Omaha Only Shows 2 Cards at Showdown  (Read 7213 times)

MikeB

• Administrator
  • TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Omaha Only Shows 2 Cards at Showdown
« on: July 10, 2011, 12:06:13 AM »
The TDA received the following question regarding an important showdown procedure. Please feel free to post your comments on this topic.

I'm a poker dealer. i have a question on what i should have done according to tda regs. pot limit omaha (cash game): the action is complete on the river. one player shows a full house and shows all 4 cards on the table. player two shows a bigger full house, but only shows 2 of 4 cards and throws the other 2 cards face down towards me (the dealer). What am i supposed to do now? Whom do i award the pot too. can i ask the player to show all cards? do i kill that players hand even though he has the best of it? what do i do?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Omaha Only Shows 2 Cards at Showdown
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 04:58:00 AM »
Mike,
 The correct action from the dealer should have been to stop the two cards from hitting the muck (freeze them), and call the floor. As long as the player had 4 cards, the best hand would win. Too many dealers refuse to call the floor when they should, and get themselves in trouble for making decisions that they should not. The player should be given a warning, and if he continues to show only two cards, he might be asked to leave a cash game. Tournaments are different, of course, but I would still have a tough time killing the best hand in this situation. The Dealer's responsibility is to control the game and prevent any irregularities, like OOT action, or unclear bets.  Well trained dealers should know all of the rules for the games they deal but, it is not up to them to make any decision at the table.

Dave_The_Maori

• TDA Member & Active Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 05:01:40 AM »
In alot of Card Rooms, Cash Games procedures tend to differ from Tournament Procedures. Seeing how this is a Cash Game, it would heavily depend on the House Rules. As such, I will submit my answers to your questions based on my House Rules.

What am i supposed to do now?

As the Dealer, call for Floor Person. As Floor Person, instruct the player to show their entire hand.

Whom do i award the pot too. can i ask the player to show all cards?  

I believe the Dealer should call the Floor for them to make a decision on this one because the ruling that will be made on this situation should be the same ruling for other similar situations.

do i kill that players hand even though he has the best of it?

Again it's really the Floor's decision to make that call but personally, I would rule that his hand is Live because to me the player's intention was to show the winning hand albeit in the wrong way.

what do i do?

As a Dealer just remember; When in doubt, call for help. As a Floor person; Every decision you make may have repercussions for future games.

Hope this helps :)

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 12:58:17 PM »
Dave,
 I think we were writting or response at the same time. It looks like we agree.

Spence

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 09:26:57 PM »
Cash game? Hmmm... Ship the pot to the winning hand. Give the guy who only showed 2 cards a warning. Get on to the nexst hand. Omaha is a slower game as is and we need the hands per hour. Calling a floor only takes away from the rake we are earning. Tournament? Hmmm... Call a floor. Give the guy a warning or penalty if warranted.
I like Nicks response about having properly trained dealers. While I agree that dealers do not always call for the floor when a situation arises I don't want them feeling like we are a crutch. They should be empowered to make some decisions on their own. Keep the game moving!