Author Topic: Saying what cards you have valid?  (Read 8666 times)

W0lfster

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Saying what cards you have valid?
« on: June 14, 2011, 05:43:28 AM »
The post is pretty much self explanatory, I heard from someone down my local pub that you can now say what cards you've got while in a hand, a new rule apparently. I do not like it personally I know you can still lie but it is very bad etiquette in lots of ways.

What does everyone else think?

Dave_The_Maori

• TDA Member & Active Poster
Re: Saying what cards you have valid?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 06:03:32 AM »
The post is pretty much self explanatory, I heard from someone down my local pub that you can now say what cards you've got while in a hand, a new rule apparently. I do not like it personally I know you can still lie but it is very bad etiquette in lots of ways.

What does everyone else think?

According to TDA 2009:

41.   No Disclosure
Players are obligated to protect the other players in the tournament at all times. Therefore, players, whether in the hand or not, may not:
   1.  Disclose contents of live or folded hands,
   2.  Advise or criticize play at any time,
   3.  Read a hand that hasn't been tabled.
The one-player-to-a-hand rule will be enforced.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 07:22:36 AM »
Players that insist on using unethical tactics, (that may not be governed by a specific rule,) might find it difficult to be invited to any future card games. The TDA No Disclosure Rule that Dave mentions covers the subject. There is no need to list "verbal" in the rule because IMO, it is "comon sense" not to say anything with action pending. Bluffing is the only acceptable "lie" in poker.

Stuart Murray

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 08:03:02 AM »
As above posts, discussing your own hand at any time is prohibited.

Regards
Stu

suffolkraider

• TDA Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 07:37:32 AM »
Hi all was discussing this with Wolfster the other night too, have been aware that no hand should be discussed, have said when on a table that the hand is dead if you declare but realise it's only a penalty that is needed but as Wolf points out this is in the pub and we do come up against the few that insist on saying what they have got thinking it will sound like a bluff and draw people in despite our comments to keep quiet. having watched endless hours of tv poker what some don't seem to get is that the pro's especially some one like devilfish are not announcing their hand or trying to specifically call another hand but are looking for tells as they run through the possibilities, prime example was the Fish on the heads up games the other night, nearly every hand He didnt stop talking the odds etc hoping to drag the other guy into the pit of despair lol, been playing in the nuts for nearly 4 years now and have met some real loud talkers but soem of us quiet ones are still there lol

pineforest

• TDA Member & Active Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 08:18:27 AM »
Players often mistake what they see in a cash games vs tournament.  Heads up in a cash game, discussion of hands and exposed cards are common place and not against the rules  vs tournament where it should not happen and warnings or penalties should be issued.  I would never kill a hand as the penalty.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:21:11 AM by pineforest »

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 01:43:13 PM »
This is obviously commonly accepted, but when a player asks you "why is this rule different between a live game and a tournament?" what do you guys tell them?

Players often mistake what they see in a cash games vs tournament.  Heads up in a cash game, discussion of hands and exposed cards are common place and not against the rules  vs tournament where it should not happen and warnings or penalties should be issued.

chet

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 02:28:20 PM »
Brian:

The only answer that I have is, the TDA developed rules to be used for tournaments.  TDA rules DO NOT apply to cash games.  House rules govern how cash games are run, what is allowed and what is not allowed.

Not too prolific, but that is all I have at the moment.

DCJ001

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 03:31:16 PM »
This is obviously commonly accepted, but when a player asks you "why is this rule different between a live game and a tournament?" what do you guys tell them?

Players often mistake what they see in a cash games vs tournament.  Heads up in a cash game, discussion of hands and exposed cards are common place and not against the rules  vs tournament where it should not happen and warnings or penalties should be issued.

In a tournament, collusion affects everyone. In a heads up cash game hand, showing cards only affects one s equity.

chet

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 03:41:20 PM »
DCJ001:

Good Answer!!