Author Topic: Boxed cards  (Read 15276 times)

Brian Vickers

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • Poker Manager
Re: Boxed cards
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 07:26:08 AM »
The rule in the two card rooms I've worked in was that the last card in the stub could not be used, yes.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 02:06:09 AM »
   When answering the original question, I failed to consider that the players were all-in. I have never heard of a rule other than a misdeal if more than one boxed card were exposed during a deal. Does the fact that the players are all-in before the cards are exposed make a difference? Possibly. At least it makes more sense because it could not affect the betting. I do support the redeal if more than one boxed card appears with action pending.

W0lfster

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 12:20:28 PM »
Excuse me everyone, but from other people's responses am I right in saying if the burn card for the flop is a boxed card- (This is not part of a face up replacement card during the deal) is it then used as the first burn card? Or dealt to the side and a new burn is dealt along with the rest of the flop?

If a boxed card is found when dealing for example the turn card, is the card instead dealt to the side and the card below it is now the turn?

Thanks. :)

Stuart Murray

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 01:16:40 PM »
Hi Andy, the procedure is that ANY card whatever it's purpose (be a hole card, burn card, or board card) that is boxed (ie face up in the stub) is treated as a meaningless scrap of paper, show it to the players and place it in the muck, imagine you open a new deck of cards, spread, shuffle and then deal, whilst dealing a small piece of paper (for example a manufacturer's guarantee) pops out between the cards whilst dealing, you would just put it aside and continue, the procedure is the same for a boxed card.

Best
Stu

W0lfster

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 06:13:19 PM »
So basically if you were to burn, you would not use the face up card but the card under it?

Dave_The_Maori

• TDA Member & Active Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 09:08:17 PM »
So basically if you were to burn, you would not use the face up card but the card under it?

Yes. Let me give you an example to help you understand.

After all hole cards are dealt and a face-up card (Also known as a Boxed Card) is found on top of the deck. The Dealer should show it to all players at the table before the betting starts and place it face-down in the Muck. Then the players can begin betting.

Hope this helps :)

W0lfster

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 04:26:11 AM »
Cheers Dave!! :)

Guillaume Gleize

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 03:55:26 AM »
OUCH: in the other hand, automaticaly redealing if more than one boxed card appears with action pending brings us back to the old and terrible situation of a player accidentally EXPOSING IS HAND while action pending ... THIS ALSO CAN INFLUENCE THE FUTUR DECISIONS BUT WE DON'T REDEAL ... !?!   

Nick C

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 05:17:46 AM »
Spence,
 The bottom card of the deck should NEVER be dealt. However, in an extreme situation, I would rather use the bottom card (needing only one card to complete the deal), than reshuffle the deck stub for another. It will probably never happen but, IMO it is a better option.

W0lfster

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 09:29:45 AM »
Nick, what you have just said just proves that there really isnt a black and white rule for every situation. I just hope at the next summit that all these questions are looked at in detail because as you say, the bottom card should NEVER be dealt under certain circumstances, it just contradicts the whole rulebooks which I find pointless in veen publishing if the rules themselves cant keep as they are. Rules should be there but as soon as you add, to the best interest of the game rules need to be ammended, sure there might be issues associated for twisting rules but it would save an awful lot of questions if rules were just straight forward.

Nick C

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 02:34:26 PM »
Andy,
 That is true, there really isn't a black and white rule for every situation. What I say, does not change any rule. I am only giving a little something to add, or some other points of view, to help you come to the best ruling. There are many rules tha I am not in agreement with but, I abide by them just the same. The situations that we discuss are sometimes very rare, and in most scenarios are not likely to even happen. The average everyday occurances are handled "by the book" 99% of the time. You have brought up the possibility of hypathetical situations that will never happen in most cardrooms. This is not meant to critisize your questions but, to help us all understand that there are so many different situations that are goverened by the same rule, yet because of the number of players, or the amount bet, or if a player is all-in, and on and on, each is slightly different from the other. That is where your skill and good judgement will make a difference. Try to focus on the intent of the players involved, and make your decision fair to all. Players that continue to create problems, or are more likely to cause trouble on a regular basis, should be warned and reprimanded. Try to focus on PROTECTING non offending players. That's the way I see it. We could never have a rule for every possible situation that could occur at a card table. That's why we have rule #1.