Author Topic: End of On-Line Poker in the US and the WSOP  (Read 10220 times)

chet

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
End of On-Line Poker in the US and the WSOP
« on: April 16, 2011, 07:57:23 AM »
I wonder how many entries the WSOP Main Event is going to lose because of the end of on-line poker in the US.  This has to make a major dent.

Chet

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: End of On-Line Poker in the US and the WSOP
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 04:35:16 PM »
Why don't the brilliant minds in Washington capitalize on this. All they have to do is make it legal and tax it and we could wipe out half of the national debt! Idiots! They can't stop it. It was like booze back in the 30's. I'd like to know how much time and money it cost the tax payers to get all those "bad guys" off their computers. If they took care of some serious issues that we have going on, maybe this country would become the world leader that we used to be, instead of a third world country divided by, and run by a bunch of "clowns."

Stuart Murray

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 09:16:49 AM »
for someone looking from the outside it seems amazingly archaic to not allow online poker in the US, the differences between states on gambling to me seems amazing also, the US definitely needs to follow the route the UK did with the UK Gambling Commission becoming a co-enforcer of Gambling Law in the country, applying a universal rule, jointly enforced by each local authority.  We have our problems with Gambling Law being old fashioned in areas but the US makes us look like were in the 22nd century!

Stu

chet

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 07:41:10 PM »
Stuart:

Far be it from me to claim the politicians in the US have any Brain Cells

Spence

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 06:14:29 PM »
I would imagine that a nationwide recession would hamper the field more than ability to sattellite in online, but I could be wrong...

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 08:36:09 AM »
Since online companies haven't been able to register players themselves, they've had to just give out cash for those who win their seats online.  The only incentive most players have had to use that cash for a buy-in is if the bonus $$$ that is offered to these people if they cash in the event/ final table the event and wear the site's gear.  Since U.S. players will likely not be able to get these sponserships or earn those bonuses in the ME, I think you'll see a decline in entries from last year. 

That's all assuming players will even be able to get their money off of these sites by June/July.

I'm setting the line at 800 less entrants than last year.  Who wants the over/under?

chet

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 08:58:48 AM »
My prediction is that the Main Event entries will be 25% lower than last year. 

Spence

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 03:26:47 PM »
WSOP Main event players

2008: 6,844
2009: 6,494
2010: 7,319
2011: ?,???