Author Topic: Dealer Wrong Information  (Read 7224 times)

Guillaume Gleize

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Dealer Wrong Information
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:37:26 PM »
Hello,

During a 100 player selection tournament organized by a big online poker website (NLH) ...

Two players at the turn (A & B both with around 10.000 and the pot at 5.000). Player A do a very little move with his hand up & down - the dealer misunderstand and announce "check" - Player B bets 4.000 while player stops the action and says he never wanted to check!

I asked to the dealer about the exact hand move of A ... The dealer answer me that player A actually had a little move looking like a check but added that he (the dealer) made a MISTAKE - I decided to free and return player B's bet to him (4.000) and to let player A act first free but with a warning and one hand suspension for having made everybody misunderstanding the situation - player B complained he was still suffering from the dealer error & my call - but for information: player A finaly bet 3.000 ... player B called ... more or less same thing at the river and PLAYER B WON THE HAND!

I really DO NOT PRETEND having made a good call in the action... that's why I ran here to post it and wait for your advises!

GG
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 07:39:23 PM by Guillaume Gleize »

emc300

• TDA Member & Active Poster
Re: Dealer Wrong Information
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:04:58 PM »
I will go under the assumption that had player A truly check when he finally did act, that you would make player B's bet of 4000 stand.  That being said, you were correct.  Good call in my opinion.
Matt Childress
Playing Field (1990-2010, Gone, but not Forgotten)
Richmond, VA
Twitter: @Matt_Childress

pokerfish

• TDA Founding Member
    • cardplayercruises.com
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 12:38:37 AM »
I agree with Matt that you made a good call assuming you'd have made B bet the $4k in the event of a check. A had ALL of his options open to him including a check raise in that spot since he should have known a bet would stand (or he shouldn't have said anything). Why players question these things is beyond me.... If a player moves his hand in such a way that it LOOKS like a check, it IS a check whether he intended it or not. That said, you were lenient allowing the action to back up but it sounds as though he protested immediately.... that is why I do like your decision.
Regards,
Jan Fisher
Jan Fisher
TDA - Board of Directors
http://www.cardplayercruises.com

Stuart Murray

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 05:33:17 AM »
I like your decision also, although I probably would not have been so lenient.  I would prob have ruled that player b's bet stands and player a has all options open to him,  A thing I like to remind players is duty of care to themselves and others at the tables and this can umbrella a lot of player actions which i am called to rule on.

Regards
Stuart

Guillaume Gleize

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 06:41:52 AM »
Thank you for your advises. Thoses two players were young pros and your support will help.

Sure that the situation would have been more difficult if B would have show a WEAKNESS (check) after the wrong information from the dealer unstead of STRENGTH (he actually bet) ... and I think in this case I would have take ANOTHER decision ... (Standing both check I think) ...

GG
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 06:43:54 AM by Guillaume Gleize »

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 04:25:53 PM »
I like your call. It would be interesting to know if more players were in the hand when this incident took place. I think you handled it well.

Nick C

MikeB

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 09:40:55 PM »
I can't think of a specific rule to apply here, it's just a matter of the TD's judgement and degree of leniency in these situations. Personally I'd probably hold this player to the check as originally called more often than not. If it's serious enough to give the guy a one hand suspension, IMO it's serious enough to call it a check. The fact that the dealer has changed his mind doesn't hold that much sway with me, I'm more concerned with his original impression, which was that A had checked. Then you also have an issue of semi-substantial action here because B has shown his intent to bet in this situation (albeit he's relieved from that action here IF player A bets). I don't like the idea of "rewarding" Player A's ill-timed gesture with knowledge of what Player B would like to do. Player A will be more cautious with his hand gestures next time.

NupZ_FTAG

• TDA Member & Active Poster
  • Legend.. wait for it .. Dary !!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 06:39:30 AM »
Good call. ;-)
NupZ - FTAG