Author Topic: posting blinds penalty for sitting out  (Read 5924 times)

W0lfster

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
posting blinds penalty for sitting out
« on: March 27, 2011, 07:00:34 PM »
I had a player down my local pub tell me that if at the final table, players that are sat out or have been sat out throughout the whole tournament, have to post a BB for every hand.
I do not agree with this as I thought you could sit out and not be penalised, any thoughts?

Thank you  :)

chet

Re: posting blinds penalty for sitting out
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:25:37 PM »
There are many exceptions to the generally accepted poker rules, especially at Pub type games.  There is NOTHING ANYWHERE, that I am aware of that provides for such a practice.  That said, there is nothing that prevents establishing a House Rule that permits this practice.

If you do a little investigating, I suspect this came about because at some time in the past there was a player that built up a HUGE stack in the early/middle rounds and then sat back, paying all blinds and antes, waiting for the bubble to burst and to be 'in the money', with out having to risk any appreciable amount of the stack on any given hand.  Furthermore, I suspect he/she did this more than once and the rule was put in place as a deterrent to stop this type of thing. 

Chet

Dave Lamb

• TDA Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:10:53 PM »

WOlfster

As long as the chip stack is being dealt cards each hand, and the big and small blinds are being posted each round, there is no reason for an additional chip penalty to an absent player. One reason tournaments use antes is to make sure that giant chip stacks do not "take a walk" and coast into the money. 

If there is no ante, the "walking" strategy is available for everyone to employ and I cannot see how forcing extra blinds would benefit the game in any way.

You are dealing cards to the absent player's stack  and posting blinds, aren't you?

W0lfster

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 04:32:46 AM »
Good point Chet, I understand it could well be a house rule. Dave, true enough, but I was thinking maybe it would speed up the process of dwindling the player's chip stack if he/she was to post a bb for every hand.

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 11:59:40 AM »
A player who is sitting out is just like a player who is folding every time the action is on him.  You wouldn't penalize a player who was sitting at the table but just folding every hand would you? 

You say that you want to speed up the dwindling of this player's stack, but you don't say why?  Has this player left and is not coming back or is it a player who is just standing around drinking or something?

Spence

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 06:47:10 PM »
I had a player down my local pub tell me that if at the final table, players that are sat out or have been sat out throughout the whole tournament, have to post a BB for every hand.
I do not agree with this as I thought you could sit out and not be penalised, any thoughts?

Thank you  :)
I think your player was confusing a BB with an ante.

JasperToo

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 07:05:31 PM »
I'm willing to bet Spence is right.  The story/player is confused about what was being paid.