Author Topic: Balancing table to the worst position  (Read 8138 times)

LeScribe

• TDA Member & Active Poster
    • BrunoLeScribe
Balancing table to the worst position
« on: December 28, 2009, 04:02:49 AM »
As the year is going to it's end, I've got a changing suggestion...  :)

Quote from: TDA Rules
Seating Players; Breaking & Balancing Tables

6.   Balancing Tables

In flop and mixed games when balancing tables, players will be moved from the big blind to the worst position, including taking a single big blind when available, even if that means the seat will have the big blind twice.  Worst position is never the small blind. The table from which a player is moved will be as specified by a predetermined procedure.   In stud-only games, players will be moved by position (the last seat to open up at the short table is the seat to be filled).  Play will halt on any table that is three or more players short.

This rule, that I apply for years, is to move a player from the BB to the closest free seat of the BB to the new table.

It's such a big disadvantage because this player is sometimes obliged to play without knowing his new opponents.

Lots of private rooms (here in France) rule in a different way, as they move the player as far as possible from the BB, at the new table.

Like this, the player can get some time to study his opponents before playing his BB.

Of course I use the TDA rule during my tourneys, but I can not disagree with the private room rule, since it's kind for the player, and in the best interest of the game and fairness, as it's said in Rule #1 (my favorite, of course).
Imagine a players moved three time in a row (it happened during some of my tourneys, trust me !), this one is in better way to quickly lose his stack...

What if the TDA officially rules as in the private card-rooms ?

Bruno
Every player wins at the end of any hand : some win money, other win experience...

WSOPMcGee

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • The R.O.P.E.
Re: Balancing table to the worst position
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 09:37:26 PM »
Before there was a TDA, players were generally moved according to position at the table where the empty seat was in regards to the button (similar to moving players in stud). Meaning if the button was in seat 5 and the empty seat was in seat 3, then a player two spots off the button at the next table would be moved. At some events players were moved off the button to the best available position at the next table. Trouble is sometimes the best position was the BB or somewhere in the middle. Now that's not fair either.

A couple of reasons why they decided to do it they way it is done now:
  • It doesn't allow the floor person to move his buddy from a bad table draw to a good table
  • It doesn't allow a player to go from a good position (the button) to a worse position (the BB)
  • It does allow a player to go from the worst position (the BB) to no worse than the position they already had. Their position can only improve

I agree with you that it is somewhat of a disadvantage to be moved to a table and have to post a BB without knowing the other players and how they play. However, they also share the same disadvantage. They don't know how you play. Moreover, it's no different than being moved from a broken table.
@wsopmcgee on Twitter

LeScribe

• TDA Member & Active Poster
    • BrunoLeScribe
Re: Balancing table to the worst position
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 09:54:45 AM »
Just LOVE your answers  :)

It offers me the right explanation to give to "angry" players.

Thank you so much, McGee !
Bruno
Every player wins at the end of any hand : some win money, other win experience...