Author Topic: card dealt off table  (Read 6652 times)

RobinK

• TDA Member & Active Poster
card dealt off table
« on: February 22, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »
Hi all,

In our poker room we are using RROP procedures for misdeals. The card dealt off the table is an exposed card, but does not cause a misdeal unless it is the 1st(small blind) or the 2nd (big blind) card dealt. If two or more cards are dealt off the table, than it is a misdeal.

I would like to know, what is the most common ruling for card dealt off the table, because there is a lot of players who ask for a misdeal, if this situation occurs.
I belive in the past the ruling was different. Thank you for your comments.

regards

RK

Stuart Murray

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: card dealt off table
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 06:31:47 PM »
Hi Robin,

You are correct in what you specified for a card off the table although it does vary between cardrooms.

Most use the same or similar rules to RROP, some will require the deck to be counted down or changed after the hand, but any TD or cardroom that is ran well will ensure that the current hand plays out unless two cards go awry.

Regards
Stuart

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 07:38:02 PM »
RobinK,
 It does depend on the game being played. Hold'em or any flop game would treat the card as an exposed card and it would be exchanged by what would be the next burn card. The first or second card dealt off the top would be a misdeal as you stated. I will asume it is a tournament because the rules are different in cash games. For example; tournament stud will call for a misdeal any time one of the first two hole cards is exposed by the dealer. In a cash game, if the dealer accidentally exposed one of the first two down cards, the dealer would deal the door card down, to compensate. If a player drops a card off the table, or exposes a card, they must keep it. Stud is a little more complicated because the exposed card could cause conflict when it makes a player low (the bring-in) where they would not have been , if the error had not occurred.
 I would like to comment on your statment; "The card dealt off the table is an exposed card, but does not cause a misdeal unless it is the 1st (small blind) or the 2nd (big blind) card dealt." I know that you understand this ruling, but I'd like to point out a little technicality that might make the rule more clear; in the event that there is a dead small blind, the first down card to the UTG player would be the second card dealt.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:05:59 AM by Nick C »

WSOPMcGee

• The R.O.P.E.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 07:13:36 PM »
RobinK,

The answer is as Stuart said... depends on the room. I used to work a room where any first two hole cards dealt off the table was a misdeal. We mostly played Stud then. We would then change the deck and have it counted down.

in the event that there is a dead small blind, the first down card to the UTG player would be the second card dealt.
True, but not grounds for a misdeal as the UTG player does not have any chips blinded into the pot.
@wsopmcgee on Twitter

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 07:58:17 PM »
Thomas,
 I believe that one of the first two cards off the top of the deck that is exposed would constitute a misdeal in any poker game, cash or tournament. The UTG has nothing to do with it. I was just pointing out that stating the SB and BB was not always correct.