Author Topic: Best Hand Prizes  (Read 7805 times)

Stuart Murray

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Best Hand Prizes
« on: December 29, 2009, 08:32:58 AM »
Hi all,

I was wandering how you all did your prizes for best hand or a specific hand.  For example I will have a £20 prize for the best hand of the day and for the first showdown winner with 10 8.  The best hand will not need to be a showdown (as it is a tournament I feel it a better way as then they will be able to play the hand normally) but the 10 8 will, how do you specify prizes like this and what is your reasoning behind.

Thanks for your input

pokerfish

• TDA Founding Member
    • cardplayercruises.com
Re: Best Hand Prizes
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 10:24:40 AM »
I am not sure I understand your question.... in a T you can't show your cards unless they go to showdown or the hand ends so I don't think awarding a prize for a specific hand would work. I would suggest having your prizes for show down hands as once you pass, your cards must be mucked.... otherwise, the players involved would gain info on your holdings ie the T8....
Am I understanding you correctly?
Jan Fisher
Jan Fisher
TDA - Board of Directors
http://www.cardplayercruises.com

Stuart Murray

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 10:38:49 AM »
yeh your correct Jan, the 10 8 is the first showdown winner with that holding.  Best hand prize is more what i'm concerned with and how other TD's go about it for example best hand of the day was a straight flush to the king or quad aces, do other TD's make the rule that it has to go to show down.  I'm swivering between making a showdown hand but then that means the best hand does not necessarily win the prize.  The last tourney I ran I allowed someone with a straight flush to flip over their cards on the table to claim the prize as everyone folded to their bet on the turn, which means they don't win the prize if it has to be a showdown, and also affects the way they would play the hand as if it had to be a showdown you would be forced to check call all bets.

pokerfish

• TDA Founding Member
    • cardplayercruises.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:42:29 AM »
Aha, I understand now.... I would say if you are having a best hand prize, that it not need to go to showdown, only that it be shown before the cards are mucked and the hand is over. Otherwise, it would affect how someone might play a hand and therefore affect the outcome of the event which harms the tournament's integrity. If I flop a royal and bet the hand and everyone folds, I merely show the hand once all of the action is complete.... since fastplay is the new slowplay, people are betting (and rightfully so) their big hands. Let's not do anything to change the play of a hand or harm a player due a prize.
Hope this helps.
Jan Fisher
Jan Fisher
TDA - Board of Directors
http://www.cardplayercruises.com

Stuart Murray

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 11:23:22 AM »
Agreed Jan,

That was my train of thought also.

Cheers
Stuart

Linda Johnson

• TDA Founding Member
  • TDA Member & Active Poster
    • Card Player Cruises
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 12:37:17 AM »
My experience with high-hand awards is that the player only has to show his high hand to be on the leader board...it doesn't have to be a called hand.
Linda Johnson

madkiwi9

• TDA Member & Active Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 03:24:55 AM »
My main game is a rebuy torny.

unfortunatly our players attitude is rather a rebuy than freeze out!
The inital buyin is ZAR200. the players get the choice of Paying a further R20 which goes into a pool. This pool has got as high as 10k!!!!!
The payout structure is also very good for this and it encourages playing the hand through (good for a rebuy, maybe not so good for a freeze!)

Payouts if the pool is sitting on 7k
Quads J or better - 1 hole card  - 2%  (R140)
Quads J or better - 2 hole cards - 5%  (R350)
Straight flush - 1 hole card         - 10% (R700)
Straight flush - 2 hole cards       - 30%  (R2100)
Royal flush - 1 hole card            - 45%  (R3150)
Royal flush - 2 hole cards           - 90%  (R6300)

The players love the concept and over 90% elect to be part of this - these numbers only became so high once i included the quads!

The hands must be played through to get the bonus though!

Like i say good for a rebuy!

Hope this gives food for thought!
Russell Miller
Southern Cross Poker