Author Topic: telling players only one card in your hand/ dead hand?  (Read 6203 times)

W0lfster

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
telling players only one card in your hand/ dead hand?
« on: February 01, 2011, 04:55:42 PM »
Hi there, I had some controversy about a player down my local pub who told me one of his cards the exact suit as well, I immediately said but your hand is dead! Surely, he replied only if you say both of your cards which is from what I understand, if at the showdown you say your card's values while a hand is in progress and it is the truth then it is dead and if it isnt the hand is live. What i dont understand is how is he right? You shouldnt know any cards as is the exact reason why you have a cut card to go at the bottom of the deck.

Any rulings on this?
Thx.
 ;D

chet

Re: telling players only one card in your hand/ dead hand?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 06:28:57 PM »
The TDA Rule, #41, is quite clear just by reading the title "NO DISCLOSURE".  It is a violation of the TDA Rule to disclose the contents or any part thereof of your hand.  It makes no difference whether you are involved in the current hand or not. 

From RRoP, v11, Section 15 Tournaments, Sub 22:

22.   Showing cards from a live hand during the action injures the rights of other players still competing in an event, who wish to see contestants eliminated. A player in a multihanded pot may not show any cards during a deal. Heads-up, a player may not show any cards unless the event has only two remaining players, or is winner-take-all. If a player deliberately shows a card, the player may be penalized (but his hand will not be ruled dead). Verbally stating one’s hand during the play may be penalized.

There are some venue's that do not follow either and allow players to expose one or both cards and/or also talk about their hands.  This is why it is extremely important to find out what the "house rules" are ahead of time.  I believe the customs and typical house rules in Europe are different that those generally followed in the US.

Hope this helps!

DCJ001

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 06:59:32 PM »
For future reference, many of the answers to your questions about tournament poker may be answered by reading the TDA rules:

http://www.appservicesonline.com/PokerTDABlog/?page_id=107

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 08:12:26 AM »
I understand TDA  RULE #41. NO DISCLOSURE, however, there is no rule that I know of, that kills a live hand, even if the offending player showed both of his cards. The offending player should be warned and penalized, but the hand is live until it hits the muck. Who needs players like that in any cardroom? Get rid of them!

JasperToo

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 09:09:41 AM »
I have to agree with Nick on this one as I don't know of a rule that kills the hand, but they should have a penalty after the hand is over.

Stuart Murray

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »
under TDA rules the hand is live but the player shall receive a penalty after the hand for violating the 'one player to a hand' rule.  There are some rules which would rule the hand immediately dead (does the WPT still have this rule???)

Most tournament rules now follow a line similar to the TDA, the hand is live and will play but the player shall be penalised which is in keeping the best interests of tournament poker

Regards
Stuart