Author Topic: Straddling below minimum  (Read 4617 times)

W0lfster

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Straddling below minimum
« on: January 10, 2011, 04:51:44 PM »
if the blinds are sb = 10 bb = 20 what is the ruling on the UTG if he/she wants to straddle but has only 39 to put him/her all in. Can the person post this 39 as a new straddle before the cards dealt? Or is the rule you have to have at least 40 and in this case go all in after the cards have been dealt?
Thanks ;)

DCJ001

Re: Straddling below minimum
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 07:18:31 PM »
This message board is for issues concerning the Tournament Directors Association.

In my experience, straddling occurs in cash games, not tournaments.

chet

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 08:19:05 PM »
According to Robert's Rule of Poker, a straddle MUST be twice the size of the Big Blind.  If I were the floor in a cash game, I would not allow this person to straddle, his only option would be to go all in. 

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 09:25:28 PM »
WOLfster,
  Chet is correct, a straddle must double the big blind. Generally speaking, only one straddle is allowed per hand. Another consideration is the fact that a short raise (not 100%) would be nothing more than an all-in action. Remember, one of the options open to a straddler is the raise option pre-flop, which would be impossible to an all-in bettor. There is another Post on Straddles that you might want to look at.

http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=clcftb1k33f25e2keve6ocjj44&topic=135.0
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:03:27 AM by Nick C »

Stuart Murray

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 08:30:39 AM »
hi there, this thread is for tournament poker, but in answer to your ring question the player cannot straddle for 39, it could only be an open all-in for 39 total.

Regards
Stuart