Author Topic: Folding in turn, when checked to  (Read 7835 times)

K-Lo

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
Folding in turn, when checked to
« on: November 17, 2010, 09:23:50 AM »
I don't think there's a specific rule that prevents a player from folding when it is his or her turn.

However, how do we feel about situations where a player can check, but decides to fold?  If there are multiple players vying for the pot, I have an issue with this.  

For example, suppose everyone folds to the hijack, who limps in.  The button raise, and you are in the BB and call.  Hijack calls.  Flop comes down, you check, and the player in the hijack folds.  I feel that this gives the button an unfair advantage over me, as he has one less opponent to worry about when considering whether or not to bet.  That is to say, by folding, the hijack has failed to protect all of the other players remaining in the hand.  

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 09:11:43 PM by MikeB »

DCJ001

Re: Folding in turn, when checked to
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 09:30:31 AM »
TDA Rule 43. Ethical Play

Poker is an individual game. Soft play will result in penalties, which may include forfeiture of chips and/or disqualification. Chip dumping and/or all other forms of collusion will result in disqualification.

chet

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 07:09:30 PM »
I do not believe you can prevent a player from folding in turn.  Granted in VERY few situations, there may be some soft play, but this can be monitored and if suspected the floor can have a discussion with the offender.  Even the on-line sites allow a player the option to check or fold when it is their turn. 

As to the advantage to another player, I think it would be so minimal as to not warrant consideration in the vast majority of cases.  Again, if there is a question of collusion, I believe it would be appropriate to call the floor and have it resolved that way.

Hope this helps!!

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 07:37:26 AM »
Folding in turn without facing a bet is one of the worst things that any player can do. It violates all rules of poker etiquette. It offers no protection to other players. The only exception is when the action is head to head.

It is clearly the action of an inexperienced amateur, or worse. It could be a good reason to consider collusion. A player drops out to let his "partner" know that he will not be in the action, or stand in his way.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 03:00:01 AM by Nick C »

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 07:26:54 AM »
Thanks for the Rule change (Rule 46) addressing my concern!

K