Author Topic: all in show down but mucked cards already shuffled into the deck  (Read 4658 times)

huyshuys

• TDA Member
all in show down but mucked cards already shuffled into the deck
« on: November 12, 2010, 12:09:51 PM »
In a local tournament in which I am the TD, I had a strange situation at one of the tables.

The lady on the dealer dutton was playing with her smartphone while the hand was busy, so she entirely missed the action that ended in an all-in situation. The cards openend up and Ace-King was all-in, while the other guy held AQ for almost hire entire stack. The dealer was paying attention so interpreted the rumour as a finished hand putting the mucked into the deck. Panic all over and everybody had its own thoughts and feeling about the situation. Because they could not agree, as the TD I was called to make a decison.

A clearly unlikeable situation in which I asked the players about what happened. I also asked the dealer whether the mucked are on top of the deck or are inside the deck. She couldn't tell me.

What should I do?
Cancel the hand?
Draw a board? In case of YES, how? All cards?

Please your view.

Stuart Murray

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: all in show down but mucked cards already shuffled into the deck
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 12:28:58 PM »
Ah I see, so she thought the hand was over and swept the muck and board up into the stub.

Robert's Rules of Poker states "Once action has occurred a misdeal cannot be called, neither can the pot be split or redrawn.

The board must be re-constructed in as fair a way as possible, whether that means you can get it 100% or 0% correct this is what you must do, as it's all-in you can withdraw as many cards from the stub as possible by asking everyone what they had/suits etc to try and get the stub right, try not to alter the stub apart from removing the cards that have already been dealt from it, then issue the board in what you believe to be the fairest method possible. they won't like it and will call for a misdeal, but remember - there's no misdeals once action has occurred, the hand must play out somehow!

Next thing you need to do is amend your rules to ensure mobile phones are not used in a method that interferes with play!

Best Wishes
Stuart

huyshuys

• TDA Member
Re: all in show down but mucked cards already shuffled into the deck
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 02:49:15 AM »
thx for you clear answer.

I decided to let the hand go on. Restructuring the mucked hand was impossible, some people had a too boring hand to remember. So I shuffled the entire remaing of 48 cards and then draw a board Kxxxx so AK > AQ.

Forbid the use of cell phones is very inlikely in a local tournament, so I insisted the players to pay attention to the game especially in the dealer position. Also I was standing at that table almost the whole time until the final table.