Author Topic: Chips over "The Line" Floor call  (Read 6925 times)

Martin L. Waller

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Chips over "The Line" Floor call
« on: October 28, 2010, 08:33:55 AM »
I was watching episode 24 of the WSOP. Tim was dealing and there were two players in the hand. One bet 1M. The second player put 4 chips in his hand and stretched out his hand as if to call. With his hand 6-8 inches over the table he pulled his hand back. Tim called the Floor and they decision was that there was forward motion and the chips hand to stay. It was ruled a call because he moved chips over “the line”.

Last year, a player slid a huge amount of chips to arms length and pulled them back. That was ruled a check and he kept his chips. This was even backed up by a second Floor.

I think we would all like consistency in all of our tournaments. In these cases, IMO the calls were backwards. The first, since no chip touched the table, should have been able to fold his hand and keep his chips. The second, since his chips were on the table, should have been a call.

What do you think? How would you call these?   

Good Luck,
Martin

MikeB

• Administrator
Re: Chips over "The Line" Floor call
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 08:47:26 PM »
Hi Martin:
Do you have a youtube of the 1st incident you mention? The second is the "cantu vs. the russian" incident, widely available on the net....

For me, it all comes down to whether a house uses a forward motion rule or a chips released rule. Under forward motion, then, yes pushing a stack "past the line" is a bet. Under the chips released standard, however, the bettor has to take his hand off the stack and the chips have to "hit the surface of the table".

Personally I like chips released because in the States 99.9% of tables don't have betting lines, so if you're trying to enforce forward motion on a table without a line, you have to parse every motion and see if it meets your standard of being past an imaginary line or plane. One judge may think the chips are sufficiently far forward while another may think they haven't crossed the imaginary plane... also the same judge may rule it binding from one angle, whereas they might rule it non-binding from another angle...  With chips released the player's hands are either on the stack or they aren't, so it's clear from any angle and every judge rules the same, they're either released or they aren't. That's why alot of houses in the States have gotten away from forward motion and gone to chips released....

You can still strongly warn or penalize a player if they abuse chips release of course. You can also as TD make a determination that even though it's a chips release standard, that "if it looks like a bet, it is a bet" and use TDA 30 "player must make his intentions clear".  

The downside of chips released is that you will have these outlier situations like the Brandon Cantu incident you mention as your 2nd example. I agreed with Jack Effel's ruling at the time given that it was my understanding that the chips release standard was in effect in that circumstance. But I understand it was very controversial and alot of people felt the Russian player had "gone over the line" (no pun intended) even if chips released was the de facto standard in effect.  I would add one other incident that I think fits this controversy... that was a play at the WSOP by Mike Matusow several years ago where he did a "hail mary" and extended his arm with a fistfull of chips then pulled it back and it was ruled no bet because he didn't release the chips, anyone have a tape of that?  Thanks for bringing up the topic, another possible issue for the next Summit, IMO.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 10:30:29 PM by MikeB »

DCJ001

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 09:24:19 AM »
Hi Martin:
Do you have a youtube of the 1st incident you mention? The second is the "cantu vs. the russian" incident, widely available on the net....

Personally I like chips released because in the States 99.9% of tables don't have betting lines,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDW8RhjEO9Q#t=2m2s

Only one poker table out of one thousand has a betting line?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 11:08:16 AM »
Gentlemen,

Just to show you how confusing these rules can be.

http://www.cardplayer.com/cptv/channels/13-other-poker-videos/poker-videos/3922-ask-jack-betting-lines

My advice is to not make any forward motion, unless you are absolutely certain of your intention and the amount you want to wager. The rules are too vague, and you will be at the mercy of the TD. The videos from past WSOP events are great, but that doesn't mean they always make the right call.