Author Topic: Where to stand during a "Clock Countdown"?  (Read 6403 times)

Dave_The_Maori

• TDA Member & Active Poster
Where to stand during a "Clock Countdown"?
« on: October 10, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
I recently heard of a situation that got me thinking...

NLHE: Seat 3 raises. Seat 4 calls, Seat 5 raises. Action folds around the table.Seat 8 calls. Seat 3 raises. Seat 4 folds and sits with his arms across the table. Seat 5 calls and Seat 4 starts talking to the dealer. Seat 3 calls Clock and the Host (TD) stands between Seats 3 and 4 and starts The Countdown. When the Host gets to 0, he says to Seat 4 that his hand is dead and reaches to Seat 4's arms only to see he had no cards. Seat 3 says I called Clock on Seat 8 and the Host walks around to kill Seat 8's hand. Seat 8 objects but the Host says that it's the player's responsibility to know the actions of the table.

What I would like to know is how some of the members of The Poker TDA would run their Countdown?

chet

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Where to stand during a "Clock Countdown"?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »
In my opinion, the first thing for the floor to do is to find out from the dealer which player called the clock on which player.  As soon as that is ascertained, then the floor should stand behind that player and begin the countdown.

In your particular situation, I would pull player #4 away from the table and instruct him/her not to lean on the table and be talking to the dealer while action is pending.  I would also tell the dealer (again away from the table) that he should not be talking to the players while action is pending.  His/her job is to ensure the table is 'run' in a professional manner.  He/she cannot do that while socializing. 

Hope this helps!!

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 07:16:12 AM »
Welcome Dave,

I can't speak for other TD's but it was obvious that the floor had no idea the clock was being put on the player in seat 8 and not 4. I agree with Chet, when he said, "the dealer should run the game in a professional manner." That would include letting the floor know exactly what's going on at the table and instruct the 4 seat player, to sit back and not obstruct the view, or action of others. Once the mistake was realized, the worst scenario is to give the player in the 8 seat another minute and ten seconds to respond. It was possible that he (8 seat) also thought that the clock was on the 4 seat, even though that player had no cards.

Chet, I don't know if there is a specific position that the "floor" should be standing at when the clock is on a player. I would think that any position that gives the floor full view of the action is okay. I, personally, don't want anyone standing behind me when I'm playing and that includes floor persons.

Stuart Murray

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:01:07 AM »
I agree with Chet and Nick, and worst case is you do give the player in seat 8 extra time, even if it is only 30 seconds, calling for the clock specifies that it is a MAXIMUM of 1 minute so you can shorten the 'on the clock' time to suit.

Myself I prefer to stand behind a non-playing dealer or where it is self deal in a position where I can see and be seen by everyone.

Regards
Stuart

Dave_The_Maori

• TDA Member & Active Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 03:46:21 AM »
Thank you for responding to my post and for offering your incite to my question. I must admit, I tend to stand near the table (Which ever part of the table that I arrive to first) and announce the Clock and think nothing of it and before I even started writing this post, I was of the same mind as those of you who have posted.

As far as the situation that I provided goes, I too agree that "extra" time should have been given. The Host was new to directing and although we didn't catch it in time, it can be assured that he won't be making a decision like that in the near future.

Once again, thank you for posting.

Martin L. Waller

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 11:06:34 AM »
Hi fellows,

The main question is where to stand. As the Floor approaches the table the dealer should communicate to the floor what and where the action is and who the clock was called on. The Floor should stand behind the player as he counts down the clock.

I agree with Nick about having a talk with the dealer about running a pro game.
I’m not really sure if I would address player 4. The issue is with the dealer, not the player.

The dealer and the Floor dropped the ball, or chip in this case. The issue was in poor communication. If the dealer was aware of where the Floor would stand he could have also caught the mistake before the countdown was finished.

Good luck,
Martin