Author Topic: live poker tournamnet payout structure  (Read 8902 times)

gabesz

• TDA Member & Active Poster
live poker tournamnet payout structure
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:07:52 PM »
can anybody tell me official payout structure 10 handed verzion for poker tournaments???

thanks for your help

Gabor

Nick C

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: live poker tournamnet payout structure
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 03:07:05 PM »
Gabesz,

I'm sure someone can help but, I think they will be looking for a little more information. How much? Rebuys? How long do you want the tournament to last...That's not my field of expertise, but I know someone will be able to help you.

AleaLeedsCardRoom

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 03:52:14 PM »
For us that would be 65% for 1st, 35% for second. 
On full tilt for a 10 seat sit and go they do 50% for 1st, 30% for 2cd and 20% for 3rd

Lewis

chet

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 08:40:55 PM »
I have never seen an "Official" payout schedule.  Neither the TDA nor Robert's Rules of Poker have made any recommendation for payout schedules to my knowledge. 

Here is a link with some additional information:

http://www.homepokertourney.com/payout.htm

MikeB

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
can anybody tell me official payout structure 10 handed verzion for poker tournaments???

thanks for your help

Gabor
Hi Gabes. Obviously there's no universal payout structure. One way to choose your structure is based on whatever payout will keep your players coming back. Do they want it "top heavy" with the lions share, or perhaps all of the money going to one player ? Thats actually how the WSOP originally was set up: winner takes all. OR do they want a deeper payout so more players have an opportunity to be in the money even if the amount per player is less than it would be if it was top heavy... It's marketing, what will excite your players most and bring them back ?  

If you want a general guideline, then I'd say the most common structure is to pay the top 10% of players with something on the order of plus or minus 25% going to the winner. And you scale it back from there to payout the remainder of the top 10%. Personally, I like deeper payouts, with a little smaller percentage going to the winner so you can fatten the payouts to the rest of the players in the money I think that rewards players for the many hours they put in... AND it's a good marketing message IMO.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:59:56 PM by MikeB »

Stuart Murray

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 06:37:10 AM »
I'm with Mike also, I prefer to have 'flattened' out pay structures, especially considering the masses of my players are amateur or social players in nature, my next large event will be around 140 players with 18 places paid £3,400 est prizepool, paying £50 to 18-12 then rising to around £750 for 1st place, this keeps my players happier.

For a 10 seat SNG I would be paying as standard 3 places with 45 30 25%, if it was a 10 seat with re-buys and/or add-ons id end up paying 4 places around 35 25 20 20%.  I myself am religiously against top heavy prizes, as they often end in deals anyway, flattening out the payout structure encourages the game to be played, rather as players focusing on 'laddering' up the pay structure.

Regards
Stuart

AleaLeedsCardRoom

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 11:29:04 AM »
Personally I am for top heavy structures, as I find that there will be a different set of people in the cash each time so if that group wants to do a deal they can if not they wont, this makes it different each time.  If you get a final table that dont like the pay out structure then they can do a deal and change it, this way I fiond you can please most people as they feel they had some control over what money they win.

As for tournaments that have rebuys, I don't change the pay out structure, it is based solely on the number of people in the tournament, to make a nice big first prize!!!

These are my thoughts....
Lewis

Martin L. Waller

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 01:41:58 PM »
Hi fellows,

We are all different and also trying to get different results. We try to cater to our player as to what will attract the most players. Personally I try to pay out to 9% of the players. But in small 1-3 tables I pay out 1 per table plus 1.

One table has two winners, 60-40. Two tables, 16 players or more has 3 places, 50-30-20. Three tables, 25 players or more has 4 places, 40-30-20-10. After that it is 9% of the players get into the cash. 100 players = 9 places.

Good Luck,
Martin