Author Topic: HELP! A Case for Two Big Blinds (no Ante)  (Read 3190 times)

JoeCroupier711

• TDA Member
HELP! A Case for Two Big Blinds (no Ante)
« on: June 12, 2022, 09:21:05 AM »
Is there ever a case where there are two big blinds posted?  There are no antes in this tourney structure.  I was not near the table, but the TD at the time had two players post big blinds.  Lots of drama, and I'd like some input.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 11:35:32 AM by JoeCroupier711 »

Dave Miller

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
Re: HELP! A Case for Two Big Blinds (no Ante)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 05:32:31 PM »
I can’t imagine how that possibly could’ve made sense.

I like to think of it this way:

What’s going to happen on the next hand? Two small blinds?

And what about the hand after that? Who’s going to be the button?
How do you justify asking a player to pay the blinds but then refuse them the opportunity of being the button?

I’d REALLY like to know what bizarre situation prompted the TD to even consider it. Also want to know what the TD was thinking….
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 05:51:03 PM by Dave Miller »
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

JoeCroupier711

• TDA Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 05:42:05 PM »
Tell me about it.  I have emailed the dealer for the details.  I have not heard back.  The TD briefly told me what he did, but he is one of those who finds it difficult (impossible, really) to admit he may have made a mistake.  At this tourney, I was merely an assistant.  So I was not at the table when it happened.  What may have happened was a player was moved to that table, to a seat between the button and the SB.  Still, since I know that TD does not know the rules very well, anything could have happened.  When I get more info, I will post.

JoeCroupier711

• TDA Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 09:17:39 PM »
... When I get more info, I will post.

Here was the situation...
During a hand, Seat 1 was SB, Seat 2 was BB.  Button to right of dealer.  Seat 1 got knocked out, and TD seated a player in Seat 1.  The next hand saw the button move to Seat 1, SB to 2, and BB to 3.  Then players started to chime in with their interpretation of the rules.  One suggested the button should pay to play.  TD made the decision to add a BB (I believe to Seat 4, but I am not sure).  MY only question is what should the player on the button be required to do, if anything?  I hate it when TDs seat players between the button and SB, but it happens.  Any thoughts?

BROOKS

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 12:05:24 PM »
I have seen this in cash games in the poker room at Caesar's Windsor.
It's is so unnecessarily complicated.
They do is so that no one is the button twice. Like when there is a dead button, technically the person in the Cut Off really gets Button advantage again, 2 hands in a row.
I don't remember all the details of how it works, but eventually there are 2 big blinds posted and the person on the button posts a SB.

Now, in your situation - in a tournament, players seated between button and SB must sit out that hand.
Any other position - players "assume the position"
So if you're sat on a dead button or SB, you ARE the button or SB
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 12:07:56 PM by BROOKS »

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 12:10:57 PM »
… Still, since I know that TD does not know the rules very well, anything could have happened. …
Um… Why is he a TD? 😵‍💫

Hmmm… here’s something I hadn’t noticed before (the part I put in bold):
Quote from: TDA Rule 10
Players from a broken table will be assigned new tables and seats by a 2-step random process. They can get any seat including small or big blind or the button and be dealt in except between the SB and button. See Illustration Addendum.
The addendum discusses the 2-step process, but not how / why a player could come in as the button.

On the other hand, rule 32 says tourneys use a dead button (but doesn’t indicate what that means). So maybe a player CAN come in on the button. But if so, I guess he doesn’t pay a blind.

“except between the SB and button” from Rule 10 means, to me anyway, that they can sit, but are out a hand. If the SB is eliminated, this new player CAN play, with the dead button meaning he gets the positional advantage of the button without actually being the button.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?