Author Topic: Rebuy Tournament surrendered stack rebuy  (Read 5370 times)

Motobaka72

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Rebuy Tournament surrendered stack rebuy
« on: February 01, 2022, 05:51:54 PM »
In the last hand before registration ends, player asks to surrender his stack in order to be able to rebuy the full amount.

Rule at the tournament is that as long as you have an amount equal to the starting chips or less you may rebuy.

Example:
10k starting stack
Player has 5k chips if he rebuys he will have 15k chips
If allowed to surrender his stack he could rebuy for 10k + 10k because he has the original stack amount for a total of 20k

Can you surrender your stack and be able to rebuy?
Argument is that surrendering might be consider as loosing the stack and he would be allowed to rebuy.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Rebuy Tournament surrendered stack rebuy
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 07:09:45 PM »
You lost me on this one.

BillM16

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 07:36:44 PM »
If there were no limit to the number of rebuys allowed then the player should be allowed to forfeit their stack and double rebuy. Your rules allow a rebuy when a player has a stack equal to (or less than) a starting stack. I’m assuming that the forfeiture is allowed as it is quite common and discourages chip dumping.

A “re-entry tournament” might allow the forfeiture before buying back into the tournament with a single starting stack.

Of course, these are house rules not official TDA.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 07:40:56 PM by BillM16 »

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 08:34:36 AM »
I agree with Bill. These questions are not about Poker, Dealer procedure, or anything else that the TDA should be concerned with.

These are questions about the tourney entry procedures and house rules.

It also seems like your rules are fairly clear-cut, which makes me wonder why you’re asking this question to begin with.

That said, in most tournaments I’ve seen, the registration period ends at the end of a color up break. So my only comment would be about the first sentence where you mentioned it was the last hand. I assume a break follows, so I think the player should be allowed to surrender and double rebuy, at any time during that break, as long as he does it before the tournament resumes.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 08:35:56 AM by Dave Miller »
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Max D

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 12:43:16 PM »
I agree with the thread, I am not sure where it is an issue.  I was at Caesar's this weekend and right at the break you were given the option to surrender your chips, you are now at zero and do a full rebuy before the end of the break/rebuy period and you are now at $10K in your case.
I think as it was stated before me, as long as the rule is clear there are no issues.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 10:24:03 PM by Max D »
Max D
Less talking, more dealing.

BillM16

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 09:25:30 PM »
The key question in the OP is:

“Can you surrender your stack and be able to rebuy?”

Apparently the house rules did not make this option clear.  The player asked for clarification on the last hand … I’m guessing before dumping their chips with a big dog.

Forfeiture should be a standard option in rebuy/re-entry tournaments to discourage chip dumping. The TDA should consider this in there next meeting.

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 07:37:27 AM »
Oh. It seemed to me that the OP 'question' was more of a statement, the same way you place a restaurant order and phrase it as a question: "Can I get...." and then merely list some regular menu items.

Bill is suggesting that it's more like asking permission such as if it's too late to get the early bird special.

Yeah, Bill is right. The TDA probably should have recommendations for rebuys to allow surrender to prevent chip dumping. Of course, then the question of what to do about bounties will also need to be addressed.

The only thing TDA has is Rule 29, which states that a player can't miss a hand, and will be playing with chips behind if they declare the intent to rebuy. That rule implies that the player busted out. There's no rule that mentions 'surrender'.

On a somewhat related note, about 12 years ago, I played in a local monthly charity bounty tournament where if a player busted and decided to rebuy, he did not surrender the bounty, but kept the bounty for use on the rebuy. I knocked out three players without collecting! I've never played in that tourney again, but friends tell me that they haven't changed the rule.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 06:29:06 AM »
I might be missing something,but why not allow players to rebuy while still holding chips? You can't prevent a player from going all-in and possibly dumping his few remaining chips to his buddy so he can re-buy! You can't!

I say allow the rebuy for all players, with chips or not.