Author Topic: Player swaps position  (Read 5395 times)

Motobaka72

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Player swaps position
« on: May 30, 2021, 03:39:32 PM »
At a Day 2 of a tournament with 30 tables remaining the day begins with two absent players. Albert an Bernard

Albert is first to arrive and starts playing at Bernard's seat.
Bernard arrives later and finds Albert at his seat.

Bernard is aware that he has lost some blinds and expects to play his stack with a few lost rounds of blind and antes.

You are the tournament director. What do you do?

BillM16

Re: Player swaps position
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 04:46:10 PM »
Did Albert call or bet any hand? The blinds and antes would have been lost anyway. Right? It sounds like Albert merely warmed Benards seat. I’d ask Bernard if he preferred a cooler chair.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 04:58:45 PM by BillM16 »

Motobaka72

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 06:05:38 PM »
He did.
He lost half of Bernard's stack.

If he hadn't, I guess the solution would be simple.

And also, what if he had won chips?

BillM16

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 06:52:20 PM »
Do you know the chip count of each stack at the beginning of day two? Also, how many hands were played while Albert was in the wrong seat? My solution would make Benard “whole” as he did nothing wrong. Punish Albert for the error. Fire the idiot responsible. Or, find a scapegoat if I were the idiot responsible :-)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 08:29:17 PM by BillM16 »

Motobaka72

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 09:01:38 PM »
Do you know the chip count of each stack at the beginning of day two? Also, how many hands were played while Albert was in the wrong seat? My solution would make Benard “whole” as he did nothing wrong. Punish Albert for the error. Fire the idiot responsible. Or, find a scapegoat if I were the idiot responsible :-)

Yes we know how many chips Bernard had at the beginning of Day 2.  We could make a calculation of blinds lost and bring chips from the cage to make Bernard "whole".

Let everyone else know more chips have been added.

This is probably what I would have done.

Any other solutions?

What kind of punishment for Albert?

This didn't happen. Was about to happen but we caught it.  Just wondering what would other do. 

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 01:38:49 PM »
I’m curious to know how this could have happened in the first place. I mean, don’t you check IDs when a player sits? And if they are late, requiring the dealer/floor to open the chip bags so the stack could be blinded off, doesn’t the bag stay on the seat so you’d still be able to tie it back to the player?

What’s to stop some random person, who isn’t even in the event, from sitting at an unclaimed stack, and playing?

The fault lies with the dealer and/or floor person responsible for checking player IDs.

———

That said, to rectify the situation, you should take chips that Albert lost from Bernard’s stack out of Albert’s stack to make Bernard whole. If Albert actually accumulated chips, he should be entitled to the winnings.

In either case, Bernie should start with what was bagged, less the blinds and antes.

If he lost chips, Albert may object, saying that he was playing less conservatively because Bernie had more chips he was playing looser, etc. Too bad.

Note, only if Albert lost more of Bernie’s chips than Albert had should you take chips out of the cage. And, yeah, that would mean that Albert has been knocked out.

Also, even though it’s the fault of the dealer / floor person, I think some fault lies with Albert, and some penalty is in order.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 01:41:21 PM by Dave Miller »
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Motobaka72

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 08:01:38 PM »
This did not happen.
I know it happened at another tournament some years ago. So this is something that has been in my mind for some time. Was just wondering what would others do.

Never thought to take ships out from Albert's stack.  It could be a fair way to resolve the situation.

Anyone else consider this to be a fair solution?